Golden Ale

Type: All Grain  

Batch Size: 55.00 L           

Boil Size: 65.00 L               

Boil Time: 60 min

Mash: 60 min @ 67c       

11.00 kg                NZ Pilsner

1.00 kg                  Crystal Malt

49.90 gm              Amarillo Gold [7.50%] (60 min)  

42.22 gm              Amarillo Gold [7.50%] (10 min)  

49.90 gm              Amarillo Gold [7.5%] (5 min)    

45.83 gm              Cascade [5.50%] (0 min)               

1056 Wyeast American Ale

Original Gravity: 1.050 SG

Final Gravity: 1.009 SG

Alcohol by Vol: 5.3 %

Bitterness: 25.8 IBU     

First CS for me so I am keen on feedback.  enjoy.  

Views: 163

Replies to This Discussion

Nah, I dont use any finings mate... wort chilling helps heaps for me to get a clear beer..
Interesting, I've always struggled to get clear beer. I do wort chill but that doesn't seem to help me with the clarity much. The crash chilling sounds like worth a go, as I said previously, after a while in the keg the beers dramatically brighten up over time so a week at 1 prior to kegging or bottling should help.
I crash chill for 60 hours before I keg.. anything less has proven to be a rather pointless effort to me..  I find Wort chilling is the best for me.. if I can get that sucker down to 40* in around 20 mins.. I get a heaps clearer beer..

Fining with gelatin is a really simple way to help things along. Theoretically won't get rid of the protein/break haze in a BIAB beer (although I believe it helps) but will get heaps of the yeasties out of there.

Makes a big difference and is a painless step. Unless you're vegan ;)

Jacko - Sadly, with BIAB you probably will never get it quite as clear as Adrian, unless you do extended cold conditioning...

Example would be a pale ale im drinking at the moment, went into the keg looking like mud, after two weeks it was clear but still hazy, and now, after like 4/5 weeks in the keg its ALMOST bright, probably as bright as you can get without filtering. So yeah, it gets there eventually, but it takes a sh*t load longer.

you have beer that lasts 4/5 weeks in your kegs?  wow...

I say Pale Ale but really its a piece of sh*t Lion Red clone I brewed for Nicole, cos she was always whinging "You never brew a lager for me etc etc"

So I brewed one, just for her, and guess what - She doesnt fuckn drink it >:o( lol, waste of time, and like $7 worth of ingrediants :oD haha, but hey, least now she can't say I never made her a beer LOL

Pours a nice bright amber with a decent two finger head which lasts well! Gorgeous aroma, citrus, mandarin, hints of tropical fruits, very very inviting!! Up front bitterness on the palate, but IMO it's quite balanced with the full mouthfeel. Delicious Amarillo like hop flavours linger in the bitter finish.

I see what people are saying about the bitterness in this beer - It's up there!! Perhaps a bit too much to make this a truely sessionable beer as I felt a bit puckered after finishing the bottle, but thats an easy fix.

Awesome beer bro, churr ;o)

Pours a rich golden with perfect clarity, most befitting of the name. Very inviting on aroma but like Martin my initial impression was sauvin. Also a hint of banana esteriness not sure why but its what Im smelling. Lively carbonation which is just what I like for a beer like this, builds head down the glass.

Great citrus hop flavour with immediately apparent bitterness on the palate. Great rounded malt flavour Id otherwise expect from a pale ale base, with an easy going crystal which makes it very easy to drink. Delicious beer, I realise it is over bittered than what was intended but I love it, wish I had a case more!

Brew_sci has got the same tasting notes as me apparently. Only other thing I noticed was a slight clove aroma and slight peppery taste.

Like the beer loads,

Cheers mate.

Beautiful looking beer, a real bright gold in the glass. The bitterness is a bit astringent, possibly this is from the amarillo.  I've got an amarillo APA at the moment that has the same harsh edge.  That said its seems well brewed with a nice clean ferment and a really dry finish.  Citrusy tropical fruits begin to emerge as its warming in my glass. 

Yet another great case swap beer, although I agree with most comments about the bitterness being slightly out of step with the rest of the beer, but ain't no shame in that.  Cheers Adrian.

Had this one a few weeks ago, getting through some CS7 notes Ive been slack to post up.

Poured a nice clear gold. I got toffee, honey and some tropical fruits on the nose. Crisp, dry mouthfeel. Tropical fruit again in the flavour. I found something slightly harsh lingering in the background, not sure what though I'm sorry, enjoyable beer  same.Thanks Adrien !

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service