Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

http://www.stuff.co.nz/nelson-mail/features/lifestyle/fritz-and-mar...

Ordering the wort and fermenting it myself. I must say, I'm kinda curious.

Liberty Brewing - When will this be available?

Views: 890

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

http://www.libertybrewing.co.nz/content/golden-bear-pale-ale

Even made it look pretty for you fellas.

Slack-arse :-P

If it'd been up yesterday I would have bought one and not bought the stuff to do my rye APA, haha.  Next time eh :-)

Yum, Rye APA sounds way better :oP hahaha

Yeah, I'm loooking forward to it, especially with the funky hop schedule.

Terrapin Rye Pale Ale Clone.

Do it!

I just drank the last bottle of my second batch of this and I'm already planning some more. Lovely balanced beer.

The Terrapin RPA?  I keep hearing good things about it.  Except for the odd person who would change the recipe slightly - mainly for their own tastes.

Pretty keen to see how it comes out.  Looking for a house pale ale recipe.  Something a little different like this would fit the bill too.

The guys on AHB dilute theirs quite regularly down up to 20 litres, however alot of the literature suggests it does make a slightly inferior beer as opposed to if you just ferment the 15 litres... But thats all from a different brand of fresh wort kits, so it may be different...

Awesome to see a NZ brewery giving it a crack!

So just following up from this, the Golden Bear Pale Ale is available from http://libertybrewing.co.nz/catalog/golden-bear-fresh-wort-kits

It is Pale Malt with organic Motueka and has an S.G. of 1.056 - I've sold a few, so if anyone who has finished off the fermentation, please pipe up on this discussion to let us know how you are getting on with them.

It really couldn't be easier. Put it in the bucket and put some yeast in it.

Done.

So, has anyone had a crack at one of these yet? What are the results like? My stocks are pretty low right now and thinking this is a quick and easy way of getting a beer in the keg.

My first post on this forum. I've found some great reading and tips already. Made a few (bad) brews in my misspent youth back in the 80s.Just got back into it now because of new baby and therefore the need for fiscal restraint ;-) Did a couple of Muntons kit + adjunct brews that turned out ok, then discovered this fresh wort and it seemed like the best way to get a high quality beer for little effort.

I've made 2 brews of this Golden Bear fresh wort. The first is 15 litres @ full strength (6%ABV), using S-04 yeast, and has been about a month in the bottle. Tastes great. Nice pillowy head, crisp flavour, very hoppy when young but that now seems to be mellowing as you'd expect. In another month or so it should be even better. I'd happily pay for a pint of this at a bar. Only thing is it's a bit hazy, but I think that's my fault not the wort's - my first attempt to use gelatine finings.

I did a second brew of it diluted to 18 litres (5%ABV), also using S-04. This time I used isinglass finings and it's crystal clear. Sampled it after only 1 week in the bottle and it hadn't carbonated yet (give it time I suppose), and tasted insipid. Might be nicer (drier) with age, but I'll probably brew it at full strength in future. Either that or add a bit of crystal and maybe some extra hops.

I think I'll be doing a few more of these as I'm pretty fussy about beer (big craft beer fan), but what with the baby and all, I don't have enough spare time or the space and equipment for AG brewing. And being a fairly serious musician I'd rather spend what little time I do have with my guitar.

Good to know that it's just pale ale and Motueka. I think it would make a good base for experimentation. For example, with a good lager yeast and cool fermentation I'd expect it to make a darn good hoppy pilsner. I have plans to do a lager over winter so I may just try that. Also, with the high hop levels I'm sure it'd stand up to a fair bit of dark malts and make a respectable porter.

Just an update on the diluted 18 litre (5%ABV) version. After only 2 weeks in the bottle it's now tasting much better. Enjoyably light, crisp, refreshing. I still prefer the full strength 15 litre version, but this would make a nice summer thirst quencher.

I gave a mate a taste of the full strength brew and he said it was as good as Tuatara IPA, but just different. I tend to agree.

Yeah I am intrigued, might have to give it a shot soon.

Cheers for doing a review of it Al :)

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service