Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Thought it might be handy to have a thread for some of the more advanced brewers to give some advice on recipes.

Let's see how it goes eh...

Views: 70876

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks guys. This is the first time I've tried adding spices, so am concerned about overdoing it. I might pull back the spice amounts a bit then.

Has anyone tried boiling up a "spice tea" and adding it to the bottling bucket? Just a thought. Then I could sample and adjust before bottling.

Joking, I'm still a novice, but does mash temp affect the body of the beer? I did a standard porter a while back and mashed a bit on the low side, and the beer came out quite thin tasting.

Making a spice tea and adding back is the trick.

Mashing high does add body... but the thing with US-05 is that especially with beers less than 1.060, it'll still attenuate around 78 - 80%... unless you use less than a whole packet.

I would try your spice tea idea, using these spices is like amking a curry. 1 tsp of cinnamon will go miles further than 1 tsp of nutmeg. I'd make up a solution of your spice and add them in different amounts to a known amount of store bought beer similar to what your aiming to produce.

Thanks for the tips guys. I did a wee experiment last night. Using a coffee plunger, I made a tea with the spices, plus a little roasted barley and chocolate malt, cooled it and added to one of my APAs.

It was more to get a feel for how the flavours might work together.

The result: Flavours should work well. But as JoKing suggested, it could prob do with some Crystasl in there to add a little sweetness.

Looking to brew an American Brown for the cooler weather and to use up my last US hops.

OG 1.052 for 21L batch
80% pale
5% dark crystal
5% pale crystal
5% cara-pils
5% pale chocolate

35IBU of Southern Cross at 60min

Then at 15, 5 and 1mins, 7g each of Amarillo, Chinook and Simcoe.
This will take it up to around 52IBU. (I usually aim for at least a 1:1 BU:OG ratio, as my partial boil method seems to dilute the BU's when I add the top-up water)

S05 yeast.
May dry hop with any left over hops, 15-20g or so. 

Any thoughts on the balance of the grain bill and hop additions greatly appreciated.

Hi Raffe,

I've haven't got any comments on your recipe unfortunately, but I would be interested to hear about your experiences with partial boils.  I make 12L AG batches with a 10L boil with no problems.  But I'm looking at making a low gravity mild soon and I'm considering making a 16L batch with a 10L boil and I'm not sure if this will give me some issues.  Any advice you have would be much appreciated.

Andy

Hey Andrew - I do a 10L boil also, then top up to final volume - essentially diluting to the desired OG. Seems to work well enough, as I am only a extract + steeping grains brewer. I don't boil all of the extract either, partly not to over-caramelize, and partly not to have a high gravity boil that would reduce the hop utilisation.

The only advice I would give is to compensate your bittering hops for the dilution made when adding the top-up water. I don't have a formula, and my internet research was varied in its results, but my understanding is adding the top-up water does reduce the IBUs calculated from the boil volume. Just add more hops at the start to compensate. I sort of worked this out by feel over a few batches. 

Thanks Raffe,

I think my brewing software (BrewTarget).  Already takes the boil volume and the topup water into account when calculating IBUs, so I think I sorted as far as that goes.

Andy

Sweet - I think I will download Brewtarget tonight then - I use the web-based Hopville software, and I am not sure how effectively that calcs IBUs with partial boils.
I use Brewpal for iPhone and it works spot on for my system. I think it really good because its got all the BJCP styles logged into it and you can compare your beer spec -wise to these styles. it does OG, AE, BU, Alc, Colour etc. Bad bit is I don't even have an iPhone, so I knick my good ladies iPod touch on brewdays.

BrewTarget seems pretty good, from my limited experience - and it's free.  I'll need to have a bit of a play with it to test if it takes the partial boil into account when it calculated IBUs.

Andy

Personally Raffe i'd ditch the carapils and up the dark and pale crystal instead.

Hop combo looks good, but id probably be more inclined to move the 5 min addition into the 15 to make sure youre getting a good smack of flavour out of those delicious hops!! And definately dry hop!! Well, I would anyway ;o)

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service