Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94596

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Oh, and, I'm off work tomorrow to brew and go cycling. Oatmeal Stout planned, following one of the Durden Park recipes from the 2nd edition of their book. It could be a hell of a sparge, check it out:

2.5kg pale malt
1.5kg (!!) Harraway rolled oats
250g amber malt
500g black patent malt
about 50 IBUs of fuggles
will ferment it with wyeast 1338.

Supposedly a "chewy, satisfying stout". given that it gets mashed at 155F (3hrs) and 170F (1 hour), and i'm using a relatively malty, unattenuative yeast, i would imagine it will be, if i ever manage to get the wort out of the mash tun. Normally i would tinker about with a recipe like this, and try and second guess what will work best (eg. add a glucan rest, maybe add some chocolate malt, reduce the oats) but I'm just gonna follow it and see what happens. Fingers crossed - can't wait.
Yup, I've taken to running my wheat through twice to get it well crushed.
Seems to have lifted my extraction rate for beers with wheat (10%) a point or too
2 gravity points is pretty darn close ed, could be the difference between measuring gravity at 24deg and at 18deg (warmer equates to less viscosity).
I always adjust my gravity/temperature back to 16deg for a true reading. You can do it in promash.
yeah it is close, but which is another reason i'm not that worried. but as i say, using 200g more grain i wouldn't have expected a 2pt drop....even allowing for temp differences (as i do - it was measured at 18C so adjusted accordingly).
Thanks guys, I'll keep that in mind for the future. I'll let Dennis know too.
Mr C !

You could be buying in bulk and crushing fresh for each batch ?
There's plenty of grain mills in Wellington and at least one in Upper Hutt
Brewday this Sunday, a 70/- for my dad's 70th birthday (21st June).

Yeastie Boys "True Blue Tartan Special"

(about 40L)

4.50kg Maris Otter
0.50kg Munich II
0.60kg Light Crystal
0.20kg Dark Crystal
0.10kg Pale Chocolate

90min boil
East Kent Goldings to 12ibu
OG - 1.035
80/- for me this weekend.

20L - 1.050

3.9kg Aussie pale
0.45 Caraamber
0.23 Munich
0.11 Dark crystal
0.09 Pale Chocolate

37g EKG (20IBU)

US05 or WLP028 (Scottish Ale) if my frozen yeast starter ever finishes.

Based on Jamil's Recipe from 'Brewing Classic Styles' but substituting CaraAmber (36L) for Crystal 40 and added a little extra to compensate for not having an honey malt. FIngers crossed.
Brewed this today, everyhtin went pretty smoothly

Had a taste of the NZPA hydro sample. Tasty as.
My dad's 70th on 8th August. I'll brew the same recipe and we can compare results.
Cheers, Rob.
Done. Went 60/- in the end...1.030. Pretty much the same recipe but toned down after sounding my dad out on Saturday and thinking of the long session we're bound to have at his birthday (plus we went for a 60k bike ride, and I bet he wishes he was turning 60!). He was a big fan of Fuller's London Porter - I didn't tell him it was English ;-)
IPA

8kg M.O.
0.5kg Carapils
0.5kg wheat
60g Fuggles 60mins
25g NZ golding 30mins
15g Fuggles 15 mins
15g NZ golding 15mins
10g Fuggle dry hop
wyeast 1318 london III
CaSO4 in the mash
O.G. 1065

yield wasn't quite as high as expected, not sure why.

was thinking about a steinlager pure clone, anyone care to hazard a guess at a recipe? no need to include "fresh spring water" etc :)

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service