Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Anyone in Christchurch want to split a sack of Gladfield malt?

Hi,

I'm considering getting a sack of base malt (probably pale ale) from Gladfield Malt.  I'm just getting started with all-grain brewing on a tight budget and paying $6 or $7 a kg ordering in small quantities via mail order is killing me.

From what I've read Gladfield Malt are happy to sell directly to homebrewers (can anyone confirm this?).  I haven't contacted them yet but I'm just testing the waters here to see if there's anyone else in Christchurch who would want to split a sack with me.  I don't really want to get a whole sack for myself yet, but I live in Rolleston so it's not to far for me to go out to Dunsandel to pick up a sack and then bring half into the city.  Hopefully there are some others around in a similar position to me who might be keen.

I've got to get myself sorted with a grain mill, most likely a modified pasta maker on my budget.  If anyone is interested in doing something along these lines in the next month or so, drop me a line.

I would also be interested to hear from anyone who's dealing with Gladfield already.

Thanks

Andy

Views: 217

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't really want to get a whole sack for myself yet

Are you sure?  I thought this too when I started but it's really only 5 - 6 batches depending on gravities.  Just sayin' :-)

What sort of shelf life can you expect from grain?

Heaps.

At least 6 months for uncrushed grain.  Maybe a month or so for crushed grain,.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure.  At the moment I'm only making 12L batches, so I'm using 2-3kg of base malt per batch.  So half a sack is 4-6 batches for me.  Once I've tried the Gladfield malt, I've got myself setup properly and the 1/2 sack is gone, then I'll probably buy a whole one.

Thanks for the comments everyone

Andy

How much for the sack? Is that 25 kg?

Hi David,

Yep, a sack is 25kg.  I haven't got a price yet, but I'm thinking it would be in the $50-$60 range.

Thanks

Andy

From memory, a sack is 30 kg, and it was $50 cash last time I got some.
Gladfield sacks are
It seems that that is the way to go. I have just got 5kg of pale + yeast + milling sent here from Liberty and that cost me $35. I will contact you Andrew.
Bloody hell that's cheap malt!

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service