Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

http://www.singlesource.co.nz

Worth the money - or just publicity and hype?

Views: 175

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Funny you mentioned Antipodean Stu as I just saw that it was made with it after reading Greigs blog - now im going to have to get to Galbraiths (Or speakers if theres any left) to try it!!

I love Antipodean too, but got more peaches/nectarines from it last time I was there. Not something I've had from SX before. I'm so glad it's a permanent beer though, I just can't get enough.

I used Southern Cross in a rebrew i did of the Black Emperor (at home) with kiwi hops instead of american ones and  I think they'd work excellently in a (light) lager. Might need a bit more malt weight to back up the massive lemon pepperness.

I've got a weird feeling Sthn X might have been the hops in the Emersons Brewers Reserve Impy Pils but I'm probably wrong

Not worth the money. Tried it last week at a Monteiths bar (not my choice, heathen mates) and found it pretty much just as bland and uninspiring as their regular pilsner. I won't be making any effort to seek more of it out.

Hype. And Keith Galbraith beat them to the punch ages ago. never mind that other brewers have been doing similar things forever. Adnams in Southwold, UK springs to mind.

It pushed my buttons and made me all ranty.

Love the write up Greig!!

Cheers. You wouldn't have liked the writer when I first heard the hype. Let's just say I was experiencing a flashback to BrewNZ awards night... GREIG SMASH! :)

Since we are rubbing boogers on DB's forehead, thought I might mention that Mon tits Pils has ruined the public perception of Pilsner. Their crappy hop light 33% more hangover has set the bar so low, that when I bring out Croucher Pilsner the tasters get a big hoppy fright and make comments like  "eww thats got a funny flavour".

Pure publicity and hype.

Kinda funny that they make such a big deal over the exact longitude and latitude co-ordinates of the source ingredients and  state the co-ordinates where it's brewed (the Monteith's brewery in Greymouth) and then below that in fine print it says brewed under Monteiths supervision in Timaru.

Contradiction much?

Well... I had some just before Christmas, and in the end I actually thought it was a decently brewed lager. It didn't have anywhere near as much isoamylacetate as what the Monteiths beers usually get.

Fairly unimaginative, uninspirational, fizzy yellow beer though.

Agreed. I had it a few weeks back, it was very cleanly brewed but that's the only good thing I could say about it. Just another clean characterless lager.

I've not found any isoamyl acetate in Monteith's for a while...

because I've been boycotting them along with all DB products... mhahahahahahaaaaaaa!!!!

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service