Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Hey guys, I re-use yeast cakes all the time, but generally what I do, is keg the batch, then dump onto the yeast cake ASAP...

What I was wondering, if I say, kegged the CAP i have, would I still be able to leave the fermenter with the yeast cake for a week or so before I pitch onto it? Or will I be risking it by doing this??

My thoughts are maybe the extra oxygen or something may stuff with it somehow? But im not sure...

Views: 717

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Man that must have been some mutant yeast even if you did over-pitch!!! Yeast on Nitrous....

it was a "yeast cake" rather than "pitch"...

without looking back on records, I can't remember what the previous batch was but I remember it was three years ago... Think it was S05, 2nd gen, probably that S05 batch that everyone complained about ;-)  A dangerous mix of acetaldehyde and ethyl acetate (I'd like to say "apples and pears" but that would be beyond a euphemism).

It was at ambient overnight temp, which would be 20c tops in Wellington.

Temp control!!!!!!!!!!! Homebrewing 101 that one Stu hahaha.

Just did a 20L batch and it's finishing tomorrow, can i pitch a 40 litre wort on the same yeast cake, or would i have to add another packet of dry yeast as well? Assuming i have 400ml of slurry..

www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html will tell you how much to use, excellent tool
yer i went there, said about 260-300ml. just wondering what others experiences are.. weird how it could do double size batch.. cheers,
I've used it a lot and I've found it accurate - my only problem is that I'm not so accurate with my own measurement of slurry ie the 83ml I require is more likely to end up being 85 or 90ml
Would you guys reuse s-05 yeast that has been fermented at 15c? It was 1 packet in 10L of 1.055. I think it should be ok but not sure if at that temp it's been too stressed?

Would you guys reuse s-05 yeast that has been fermented at 15c?

Yes, I would.   I don't re-use yeast that has been fermented at the high end of the fermentation range but I happily re-use yeast  that has been fermented in the mid to low range and has kept fairly constant.  

As a general rule I look for yeast derived off flavours in the beer and avoid re-using the yeast if I find any.

Cheers Mr C, I'll harvest some of that yeast shortly and check for off flavours before reusing.
I'll add a yes to that too. There's nothing wrong with 15c, it's in it's range and should be good!

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service