Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Thought it might be handy to have a thread for some of the more advanced brewers to give some advice on recipes.

Let's see how it goes eh...

Views: 70873

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Maybe 200g would be fine? 150g might be a bit light now? Who knows :oP haha, this is what makes brewing fun tho right? :o)
150gm pale crystal or caramunich ?
Either would be fine I reckon.
I've been dropping my medium crystal or caramalt additions to pale coloured beers down to 2.5% on the basis that sometimes less is more
So it's the flavour that is the topic as opposed to th colour of the beer?
I never care about the colour personally, its all about the flavour man :o) lol
In answer to James's question below Yes, for me it's all about the flavour. As someone else said on a recent thread, I've never seen a beer that's not a nice colour.

Except that clear beer. lol.
http://www.beerhunter.com/documents/19133-000728.html
For me it's the flavour - but it really depends on what you want in the beer.
In a pale, ok or bitter, I want a bit of malt but emphasis on good hop flavour, not so worried about the bitterness, it's really about the late hop.

But usually in something darker I want the malt and the bitterness, not so worried about the late hop.
It's the crystal sweetness that makes me want to stop drinking it after a couple of pints. I've been reducing the crystal right down in my pale ales(some times removing it all together) and now I'm enjoying them all night.

I've brewed a few 100% Maris Otter beers lately and the only additions I'm thinking of are wheat and munich. Crystal doesn't even enter my head.
I agree with MrC.

Biscuit is the new crystal :-P
Hi James.

The recipe loos pretty good so far. I'd sub out the light Crystal with Pale Malt and double your late and dry hop additions. The recipe you have posted here will turn out to be a malty US Amber Ale - kind of like an Irish Red, if you know what I mean. It would be hard to notice the hop flavour (considering the amount of hops in this recipe) amongst all the caramel flavour you'd have. That addition of Caramunich III has all the colour and flavour you need for an APA.

Cheers!
Thanks Doublehoppy and Joking.

I'll drop the Crystal for pale, and up the late hops as "Flavour we want, yes!!!!! (insert Yoda pic here)
Am making an oatmeal double chocolate stout (clone of Young's double chocolate stout) which includes real chocolate and chocolate essence in the recipe. Not sure which yeast to use - S04 or S05. Any opinions?
I'm sure the traditionalists would go with the S04 for a British Ale - so where are the revolutionaries to say 05 ?
I'd say S04 for the malt profile, hell you don't want hops interfering with the chocolate do you !

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service