Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Thought it might be handy to have a thread for some of the more advanced brewers to give some advice on recipes.

Let's see how it goes eh...

Views: 70875

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That would be awesome!
christmas brew.

does anyone have a suggestion for a christmas brew?
the missus is danish and all the breweries over there bring out a xmas beer, normally a darker spicy type beer she says.

i'm after something that is good for an all day session(not too strong, i fall over quite easily!) will be at its peak around christmas time, brewed with ale yeast and can be spiced with ginger,lemon,orange or something similar-refreshing on a hot summers day type beer.

any suggestions?

cheers
martin
What about a Belgian Wit?

Doesn't fit the dark criteria but would make good drinking on a toasty summers day.
i was toying with the idea of a wheat beer,
i should have said it doesn't have to be a dark beer, but a little spice would be good.
do you know of any good wit recipes?

edit-
i just found a recipe on beertools with heaps of recommendation and it uses flaked wheat- where can i buy this and what other names is it known by? and does it need cereal mashing, the recipe says to mash everything at 150f but i thought unmalted grains/adjuncts had to be cereal mashed? have i misunderstood somewhere?
Haven't brewed one personally but this is JZ's recipe so should be pretty solid.
I have used kibbled wheat from the Bin Inn. It is basically raw chopped wheat and yes it does need to be galatenized (boiled) for 15 mins before throwing it in with the rest of the mash.

Have made a lovely wheat beer with a mix of it, malted wheat, some rolled oats & malted Barley base.
it's the return of the Jumbo Infuser... stop, look, listen!
????? 'confused'
Been thinking of what to brew next weekend so I can get some yeast ready.

Couldn't spot any specific styles I wanted to brew or any real certain flavours I was after so decided to do a rebrew of JZ's best bitter. I brewed about 6 months ago and thought it was spot on except for the hop subsitutions I had made. For the rebrew I'm gonna swap out the yeast and hops to give it a bit more of an American side but try and keep the malt a little more English focused. So I guess it's sorta a USAmber Bitter hybrid.

32 IBU
67deg mash

88% Pearl pale malt
5% Melanoidin
5% Dark Crystal
2% Amber Malt

Wyeast 1272

Still undecided on the hops. Got a decent amount of Sauvin, Simcoe, Columbus and Amarillo and a little Chinook, will also order some Cascade from Craftbrewer so may have that for the brew.

The schedule will probably be something like 15g @ 20mins, 1 min and dry hop.

Any ideas on a good combo with the above that'll suit the grist?
Amarillo brutha...
Oh well, if no one else replies - amarillo it is!
Yeah - just a single hop for the brew - let those Malts come in and dominate with a bitter mildly citrussy finish.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service