Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Thought it might be handy to have a thread for some of the more advanced brewers to give some advice on recipes.

Let's see how it goes eh...

Views: 70876

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The perle sounds like a great idea, but seems to be hard to come by in NZ. So, I am guessing Cascade will be as close as I can get.

So, which would be closer, the cascade, or the pacifica?
Personally I'm finding cascade to be along the orange -> grapefruit flavour while Pacifica seems more mandarin -> clementine, maybe a hint of tangelo.
both 2g of pacifica to every 10g of Cascade
OK...So I have no Perle yet, but I do have Motueka, Pacific Jade, Hallertau, and Cascade on hand. How about this. I hope for it to be slightly bitter, very 'citrusy', and hoppy. Am I using too many hops? Would these mix nicely?

94% Pilsner
6% Caramalt

15 gm NZ Casacade 60 Min
15 gm Motueka 30 Min
15 gm Motukea 15 Min
50 gm NZ Cascade 0 Min

Dry Hop NZ Cascade 50 gm in Secondary.
If you want more Citrus in there - I'd chuck in equal amouns of Pacifica in with the Motueka additions: There is NO WAY too much hops in that recipe...

I'm brewing at the moment, a very similar recipe and I have 130g in the kettle, with 100g in the dry hop... It's the 6th time I've brewed it now - and it's not OTT hoppy at all.
a little pacifica with each would probably lift the citrus - maybe a couple of grams at each addition and doubled at flame out.

also your malt looks a little 'light' for SNPA. I'd go pale ale malt instead of - the sweetness of that malt will lift the sweet side of hop flavour. otherwise that citrus will probably be a little lost under the spice of the hop.

US05 i'm guessing?
OK, a bit of background.
Michael's called by and milled some grains and sampled a Cascade Ale. I said it was pretty much Palmers Lady Liberty recipe from the web, just scaled back to 1.040 and hopping a little lower.
So it's in the direction of a beer he'd like to brew and as I use ADM Pils and I think that's what Michaels got, that was the basis for his post above

Michael, sounds like we should get that sack of ale malt sooner rather than later ?

Chaps, do you suggest GP or MO ?
Gp for me all the way - Joking sold me on GP last nigth at Poms. I've not used it yet right enough, but MO demands all the attention in a beer IMO
I second and third the notion for GP, its such a lovely malt and its easy to make lovely beers with it, great for a wide range of beers! Ive only used MO once or twice but have a sack to go through, allthough I dont see it knocking the GP off its post!

Michael - If you eventually want to brew an SNPA clone, id reccommend ordering some Magnum, Perle, and US cascade from Craftbrewer (or liberty if they might be getting them??) - theres a heap of recipes floating around for it, not to mention the sierra nevada website gives you a few tips ;o)

http://www.sierranevada.com/beers/paleale.html
MO IMHO
Can't comment on the Sierra Navada aspect but it looks like a good solid recipe to me.
Denise Garland has a homebrew recipe for SNPA emailed to her by Sierra Nevada themselves! Was part of the background info for a SOBA beer tasting on Tuesday. I forgot to give her my email address to send me it but it would be good to take a look at a recipe from the source :-) I'll see if I can get it off her or get her to post it here.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service