Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Thought it might be handy to have a thread for some of the more advanced brewers to give some advice on recipes.

Let's see how it goes eh...

Views: 70880

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I reckon Roast Barley instead of CaraFa - and maybe up the CaraAmber to match the CaraRed. It'll be like Lion Red on Steroids!

Oh - and use 1968!

Fuck Yeah!
I am thinking that making a beer like Lion Red wouldn't really be a good thing. ;)
Roast barley ya reckon? That thought actually crossed my mind Jo, should I still chuck it in at the end of the mash or you reckon for the whole thing?

Dont really want to up the caraamber, was more after it as a subtle addition with the carared as the showcase..

What do you think about the Vienna? Im trying to make it not too maris ottery if that makes sense? But also dont want to detract from the specialty malts too much...
Hey
Does anyone have a good recipe for a porter (extract and steeping)? I have some pacific gem and cascade hops to use if that would suit this style?? I was thinking along the lines of
1.8 kg dark LME
1.8 kg light LME
300g Crystal (steeped)
Maybe a choc type grain??

pacific gem 60 mins
cascade 15 mins

not sure what yeast but have some s05??

Any ideas? does this fit with a porter style?

Cheers
I wouldn't use any dark lme, just light and then add grains for flavouring.

Overall you're on the right track, PG to bitter then cascade for flavour/aroma - how much cascade do you have, you could get quite a nice hoppy porter with semi-liberal additions at 10-15 and 0 minutes and a dry hop.

If you go with all light lme you'll want to use a bit of choc and a bit of black malt.

SO5 will be fine, especially if you're going for more of an American style robust porter rather than an English brown porter.
I agree. If you are going through the hard work of steeping some crystal in there - you may as well go the whole hog and control the entire roast flavour in the beer too.
OK revised effort:
3.6 kg light LME
200g Crystal
100g Choc
100g Black

Do those amounts sound ok, this is only my second brew and havent used the black or choc malts yet. As for hops I was thinking:

25g Pacific Gem (60 mins)
25g Cascade (15 mins)
25g Cascade (0 mins)
25g Cascade (dry hopped 7 days)

Do you recommend kettle finings?
I am thinking of changing direction a little bit. As such, I think this is what I am putting down tomorrow morning. What do you folks think of it? Once again, I am shooting in the direction of something like a SNPA. 'Citrusy' with a bit of bitter. Am I being too simple?

94% 5.000kg GP
06% .3 kg Caraamber

60 mins 30gm Perle pellet AA8.0
30 mins 20gm Cascade pellet AA7.7
15 mins 20gm Cascade pellet AA7.7
0 min 50gm Cascade pellet AA7.7
Dry hop 60gm Cascade pellet AA7.7

US-05 11gm
Going to give some Global Kolsch a run in an established recipe this weekend.

The recipe started out as an extract & grains, 3kg LME, 250g Munich, 150g Dark Crystal, 150g wheat, 50g Chocolate. Used to be W1968 and 13 IBU Super Alpha and 20 g Mot @ 10 and element off. 1.038 and 25'ish IBU

Haven't replicated it as a grain beer yet, but currently brewing 90%ADM, 6% dark Crystal, 3% caramalt, 1% chocolate.
Yep, a little thin on the malt sometimes, maybe it does need a bit of beefier malt - either base or some Munich

I haven't been using the wheat or Munich - I'd really grown tired of them in other beers. Wondering if I go all Kolsch or maybe just give it 25% ? Opinions ?

cheers, jt
Try it as the base malt that way it will give you a true indication of how it preforms, and tastes that way you can make up your own mind.
I agree - my first brew with it (an Ordinary) is just carbing up but the hydrometer sample had an awesome maltiness to it.
Actually I just realised my Red IPA has kolsch as the base malt and it is awesome, lovely malt character, its quite rich but thats probably the melanoiden, vienna and dark crystals I used...

Yum!

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service