Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Thought it might be handy to have a thread for some of the more advanced brewers to give some advice on recipes.

Let's see how it goes eh...

Views: 70880

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ok so ive tried to simplify it a bit and have come up with this... Probably a showcase of Vienna as a malt and Columbus as a bittering hop at the end of the day...

2.2kg Vienna
1.35kg Wheat
765g Kolsch malt
135g CaraMunich II

60 - 18g Columbus 14.2%

US-05 fermented as close as possible to 16*c

Og - 1052 and 33 IBU's
pretty experimental... kitchen sinky kind of thing
i'd make it 50ibu with loads of hop flavour
"sss-wheat pale ale"
Can someone give me a NZ Hop replacement for Chinook? (or close-ish too) I've never used Chinook before so I'm not exactly sure. It's for an American Brown Ale... of sorts.
NZ Cascade or Riwaka, and maybe Southern Cross would be the ones I'd look at.
Id go for southern cross, or nugget which you should be able to get!
Bro how did that beer you brewed late hopped with Southern Cross come out?

I've never used it post 60 minutes but out of the bag it smells pretty USish. Love it for bittering though.
Sweet, thanks guys. Just what I needed.
Good point, I did a pale ale with US Cascade and Southern cross in equal amounts at 60, 20, 10, and dry and it was really nice! Had a bit of a lemon and citrus thing going on... Its nothing like chinook aroma wise tho, but its probably as close as youll get...

Nugget may be closer to chinook aroma wise?? Its stated as a substitute on the CB website, allthough I havnt personally late hopped with it I use it for bittering in almost everything!
What up people

Going to be doing a porter hopefully this weekend. I know its not the season or whatever, but i wanna brew styles i like first. Now i need to order my goods. I have previously used Hauraki., so goin to use again. My recipe calls for Nugget hops and they dont have any. Anybody know of a substitute? Also my mate needs some East Kent Goldings and they are out of those too. Any help would be appreciated

Cheeers
I'm pretty sure Mike at Brewer's Coop in Mt Wellington has some EKG at the moment. May be worth flicking him an email.

What are the nugget hops used for? If it's only as a 60 minute addition you can use pretty much anything, I'd go Northern Brewer if it's available.
Id suggest Mike at brewers coop also over Hauraki as he definately has nugget, allthough im not sure about the EKG allthough NZ goldings should be an ok substitute...

Hauraki dont have northern brewer either I believe, if you insist on going through them Southern Cross would be the best sub for nugget...
Cheers fellas. That Brewers Coop doesn't have an online store does it? How do you buy off him, just email him? Ive checked their site tho and its got better range than most it seems.

I have some Southern Cross on me now. Might just use em for the 60 minute.

Hey you reckon i should use S-04 over US-05 for a porter, the recipe just calls for an american ale yeast (liquid) Its the porter recipe on How to Brew haha thought i'd give it a crack

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service