Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Thought it might be handy to have a thread for some of the more advanced brewers to give some advice on recipes.

Let's see how it goes eh...

Views: 70882

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I just noticed I missed the OR for the last two 5% malts..... There is no way I can get 105% grist...

80% Pale
10% Vienna
5% Carapils
4% Crystal
1% Black

Simcoe @ 60
Simcoe / Amarillo @ 20
Columbus / Amarillo @ 10
Centennial / Columbus / Amarillo @ 5
Centennial / Columbus / Amarillo @ 0

Dry hop 4 days Centennial / Amarillo 1gm / L

US05 / 1056.
Looking good james, can I ask what the Blacks for? Never considered putting black malt in an IPA before...
I'm following jt's lead to cut the crystal a little (sounds like jt has experience cutting pure crystal down... with his heroine scales and all)... Probably help reduce the sweetness form the crystal and add some colour.
Looks pretty good. American Bookbinder. Personally I'm not a big fan of Centennial for late additions but that combo look pretty good.
Also, I reckon throw a small amount of columbus in the dry hop to add some extra hop pungency! Itll make the other two hops seem more prominent IMO
That sounds like a good excuse to me...

My daughter usually asks "Why are you adding that hop dad?", well now I can say, "Because a rightous Rev told me it was good." :)
Probably going to brew something tomorrow evening. Most likely a hoppy brown ale Problem is the only hops I have are Chinook and Nelson Sauvin. Are those two hops going to work together? Or should I just go all chinook?
They'll go together fine! Chinook is killer in darker beers - use a ratio of about 2:1 Chinook Sauvin in your late additions. It'll be deadly.
Sweeet. Cheers mate
I did Columbus:Sauvin 5:1 in an American stout.

Fucking.

Awesome.
Hi guys. Soon I'm wanting to brew a small (14L) batch of Barley Wine using the pacman yeast cake from yesterdays brew (pacman generously donated by Joking). Having never tackled this hefty style before there's probably something wrong with the recipe I threw together:

Anticipation Barley Wine
English Barleywine

Batch Size: 14.00 L
Boil Size: 16.86 L
Boil Time: 90 min
75% efficency

Ingredients:

6.00 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 93.02 %
0.45 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 6.98 %
70.00 gm Target [10.20 %] (First Wort Hop) 96.1 IBU
45.00 gm Fuggles [4.20 %] (20 min) 13.1 IBU
Rogue Pacman (Wyeast) Yeast-Ale

Est Original Gravity: 1.109 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 10.31 %

Going for a syrupy body with English hop character and bitterness. Would it benefit from some water hardening? Any advice for the recipe?
Recipe looks pretty good to me David, allthough personally I would probably cut back the crystal a wee bit maybe to 4-5% but you mention youre after a syrupy bodied beer so you might be right with what youve got... Cant comment on the water as I dont play around with that myself yet...

Oh, what eff do you usually get? Cos if youre normally hitting 75% id expect to take a bit of a drop with such a big grist...

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service