Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Going to do an Imperial IPA and woundering if the hoping schedule is a little OTT. 29g Per litre? Epic armagedon is 9.5g but it is'nt a Imperial IPA heres the Hoping Schedule anyway. Have Added first wort hoppings as to help in Utilization and to smooth out the bitterness anyone tried it? And is it aqll what it craked up to be? Any thoughts

18.03 gm Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (60 min) (First WoHops 12.7 IBU
50.00 gm Chinook [12.40 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
18.03 gm Chinook [12.40 %] (60 min) (First Wort HoHops 18.6 IBU
50.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
18.03 gm Cascade US Pellets [6.30 %] (60 min) (FirHops 9.4 IBU
50.00 gm Cascade US Pellets [6.30 %] (Dry Hop 3 daHops -
45.09 gm Centennial [9.40 %] (30 min) Hops 24.6 IBU
45.09 gm Chinook [12.40 %] (15 min) Hops 20.9 IBU
45.09 gm Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (15 min) Hops 14.4 IBU
45.09 gm Cascade US Pellets [6.30 %] (15 min) Hops 10.6 IBU
45.09 gm Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (5 min) Hops 5.8 IBU
45.09 gm Cascade US Pellets [6.30 %] (5 min) Hops 4.3 IBU
50.00 gm Chinook [12.40 %] (0 min) Hops -
50.00 gm Cascade US Pellets [6.30 %] (0 min) Hops -
50.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (0 min) Hops -
45.00 gm Centennial [9.40 %] (0 min) Hops -

Views: 1079

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

2 pack of S05 will gobble 1.080, no problem.
Agree with Stu. 2 packets of S05 correctly rehydrated.
What pale malt? if it's maris otter or some other hearty english pale, I'd up the dextrose a bit - at least a kilo. A touch more crystal would make it easier to drink, you could double it to 200gm and still have the pale bitter pliny-type beer you're after.
Also, make sure you get those IBU's on the money, you don't just want hop character (flavour and aroma), you want straight out isomerized bitterness to counter the sheer gravity. First wort hops won't help you with IBUs, I would shuffle some of that later hopping back to 60 minutes and up the IBU/Gravity ratio to 1:1

Those hops are extreme! My tongue is curling just reading it. Going to be an amazing beer glen!
Damn looks massively tasty, but what sort of OG/IBU ratio are you looking at? If its only 1 to 1 it wont be very bitter IMO, my IPA I did was a 1.2 ratio and its very drinkable still, I wouldnt say its too bitter... Alot of my Pale Ales have a 1.2 ratio as well, I just love a massive "zingy" bitterness ;o) So yeah, like Joking says, bump up the IBU's to 100 :o)
Reading up about rouge and old pliny, they come in at 60ibus and 92 ibus. They say that the high attenuation make the percived bitterness more extreme. I am thinking of bumping up the IBU's to 100, or at least 1 to 1. I am more worried about my hops coming out soapy like my APA.
Soapy??? What hops were those? Havnt heard of that before...
Yeah Cascade plugs and pellets, Centenial and Chinook. I have read with large amounts of hops that you can get a soapy taste to your beer if your water is not hard enough. I put 1table of spoon in the brew water. but may have to up it on this brew. Jamil show Imp APA talk abit about it also.
Crazy, ive never had a soapy taste, sometimes I overdo it abit and all I get is this massive zing, but its grown on me ridiculously :o) haha
Crazy aye!! I will still send you a bottle and you will see what I mean.
Sweet as mate, sounds good ;o)
Not meaning to be pedantic, buuuuuuuuuuut......

Stone Ruination IPA is100+ IBU (so they claim) The batch that I had in October 2007 peeled the enamel of my teeth. It "zinged" on my tongue so bad that I had to check to see if it was bleeding. It was so bitter, my eyes watered, my lips puckered up and my cheeks turned inside out: and this was only when the beer was on the way down - I'd hate to tell you what happened on the way out! The beer was divine!

Stone's was a real highlight - so was Pliney & Green Flash - they were a lot more intense that Rogue XS (dont get me wrong - I liked rogue: but it was a different beer). I guess it all depends on individual taste though and you should 1st and formost be brewing what you like to drink!

Cheers Mike - good luck with the regulator!!
"It "zinged" on my tongue so bad that I had to check to see if it was bleeding."

Hahaha, loving the description! Awesome!
I see the Rouge XS is only 75ibus Also, and at 20 Plato which is more than my recipe?

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service