Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

I'm in the market for a grain mill. I've looked back through the threads on here and there are a few recommendations but I thought I'd see if there was any up to date info. I've borrowed a Barley Crusher MaltMill before (thanks Barry!) and it has worked well. With the current exchange rate this is looking like NZ$315 including shipping.

The MillMaster from Craftbrewer in Aussie is about NZ$330 plus shipping (including the hopper and handle). I expect shipping will be fairly pricey given it is a heavy item. Is this mill worth the extra bucks?

Are there any other options? The mill that Hauraki Homebrew list on their site looks more like a coffee grinder!

Cheers,

Martin

Views: 1878

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I was thinking something like this hopper attached to the marga... Another ghetto product

Or....
Base = $0 - which is a piece of plywood cut to shape. (Nothing for me as I have a shed load of wood)
Hopper = $0 - which is pieces of plywood shaped like a hopper!

I'll just polyurethane the plywood to seal it.
If you're interested in a marga mill check locally as well if you haven't already, I know there's some fancy kitchen shop in AK that has them, just can't remember the name or price of the mill. It's 'Molly's Kitchen', 'Mary's Kitchen', something like that. I think JT told me about it on the old Real Beer board.
I saw them for $180 on trademe and "someone's kitchen"!

I think for that price you would get a 2S from crank & stein including shipping (105.95USD = $190NZD)
Milly's Kitchen? - Ponsonby Road and The Strand
That's the one. Not sure how functional it is compared to the other mentioned in the thread.
Milly Molly Mandy perhaps - doesn't really matter.
For the price differential - which can't be much - get a purpose built mill for the job
As Stu says, you get what you pay for and you're going to be milling grain for a long time to come.
Look on it as an investment and but the best that you can for the requirement you have.
That also means don't go over the top too.
I have a Marga Mill i'll sell, bought from Craftbrewer but like JT said it takes a stupidly long time to grind anything. I guess its better than a rolling pin but not that much! Maybe I just wasn't using it right I dunno, I have a barley crusher now so someone can have it for $100?
Email me if you want it dale @ dale.co.nz
Any one in Hastings... ghetto style barley crusher
That's probably not a bad buy if it's motorized and adjustable.
One more thing about the BC vs CS mills. The BC does have grain-engaged gear teeth at ends, thus this could be why we had someone on here with "floating grain". Other forums have mentioned something similar, however the BC customer service is getting some GREAT feedback (from US customers).

MashMaster mill also has the gearing for their mill, however the bare bones is $269 AUD = $325 NZD.... bugger.
You gets what you pays for.
Oops that was supposed to be "The BC DOESN"T have grain engaged gear teeth...."

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service