Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

So, the new Gladfield Malts have been on the market for a while, and there haven't been many discussions of results, substitutions, etc. Maybe those of us using them can post some of our experiences? 

Views: 6247

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

So what would be your choice for an Irish Red Ale?  The description of the Shepherd's delight doesnt' feel right for what I would want in an Irish Red Ale.

The red in an irish red ale is mostly from roast barley. So, roast barley to correct colour, plus flaked barley (say 10%) and a small proportion of crystal malts, say a few % each of pale and dark crystal. Or you could use redback for the crystal.

I never considered using Flaked Barley.  I currently use Baird's, Caraamber and Roasted Barley.  Both batches have been too dark so far and I know I need to dial back the roasted barley, but always looking for ways to improve the depth of the colour.  Not sure about all the extra crystal malts tho...sounds more like a Scotch Ale to me...?

That's an excellent tip, the Flaked Barley, cheers for that!

I think the Jamil Irish Red recipe is 91% maris, 3% roast, 3% pale crysal 3% dark crystal.

Irish reds tend to have roast barley in them, for that dry finish.

I'd be interested to go med crystal, redback and roast barley....

Manuka Smoked Malt - coming soon

YEP, REALLY LOOKING FORWARD TO THAT ONE.

Gladiator looks really intriguing, anyone got any feedback on it?

Also biscuit and brown look awesome.

I've got a brown ale in, with 100% gladfields (with the exception of acid malt for ph.)

Used redback shepherds delight and gladiator. I'll report back once completed.

Used biscuit in an Amber Ale once. It smells like an asian food store if you know what I mean. Really interesting. At 4% it added a noticeable fruit cake flavour. Too much for that beer, but good in a belgian style or darker beer maybe, I also used small amounts of gladiator to replace some of the crystal in an IPA once (to keep the colour down). All so fresh I would use them again.

I use them predominantly, mainly because retail them all in my shop! 

The last brew i did with the Shepherds Delight and Gladiator has the most beautiful head on it. And the colour from Shep D is amazing, really red.

Pretty much all of the malts are good, one thing to note is they say the Light Choc is more an equivalent to others regular Choc and their choc is a halfway house between Choc and Black. 

There is all sorts of malts in the pipeline including a Gorse smoked malt, crystal wheat, acidulated and probably many more knowing those guys! 

They started to get popular with home brewers when you could turn up with a trailer and get sacks of grain for $35ish....   long term I reckon they are going to dominate NZ all grain home brewing...   

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service