Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Hi I'm Stu.... Sometimes I feel alone, here's a little story that might help explain:

Last night I tasted the most fantastic new New Zealand beer - Invercargill Brewery's Sa!son. Up until now, the new New Zealand beer this year that had really got me excited was Epic Oaked Armageddon... a great beer, that caught me by surprise a bit, but the Sa!son was another step above them in both the "wow!" and drinkability factor. I mentioned the Saison to a few people and had one response from someone that had me thinking about my choices of great beers.

Earlier this year I'd recommended NZNBC's Deliverance Dortmunder to a few places (one of my "wow" beers of last year). Superbly drinkable and an amazing showcase of the importance of water in a beer's balance. The beer seems to have been met with a pretty ho hum attitude by most.

At Marchfest I fell in love with Moa Resurrection - I don't remember anyone else waxing lyrical about it anywhere.

I've stated for quite sometime that Townshend's Cathcart's NTA is the best beer in the country (personal opinion, I'm not proclaiming it "Champion Beer of NZ'). To me it has absolutely everything that a beer should have, in the same way that Galbraith's Bob Hudson's and Bellringers do. A good malt backbone with malt flavours rather than just sweetness, low alcohol for sessionability, superb and quite unique hop flavour, perfect water character, just the right amount of bitterness to have you begging for more, and (maybe most importantly) a fantastic fermentation profile that ties everything together in a way that means nothing sticks out (most importantly the "hole" that I sometimes find in beers that are just a little too clean).

A few weeks back I tried Rogue American Amber alongside 8 Wired Red Dwarf... the latter was nice (though a little too fresh, I'm looking forward to another try) but the former was stunning. As many people know I'm a staunch advocate that fresh is most certainly not best and I think the age on the Rogue really made it shine through (even if it may well have been picked as a fault by some). The hops (Cascade and EKG) were stunning but didn't have any of the big "new world" character that people expect these days - the hop flavour could proably best be described as ice tea. Again, nobody thought it was much chop.

Does anyone else feel out on their own sometimes? If so, what are the some of the beers you love that nobody else seems that fussed about? Or the beers you could take or leave that everyone else loves.

* Disclaimer 1: Take these thoughts as you will, they are purely personal. Most people here know that I have a strong personal and professional relationship with Steve Nally at Invercargill. I also know Martin Townshend fairly well, everyone knows Luke ;-), Soren, Keith Galbraith and David Nicholls a little bit, but I've never met Ben Middlemiss or anyone from Rogue.

** Disclaimer 2: I tried so many amazing homebrews in the last three years, most of which were big-to-huge, that it really does take a lot for a big beer to impress me. Big hops, loads of alcohol, smoke, spice or coconut is not enough to wow me any more... it has to be the complete picture and I seem to get this a lot more in beers under 6% (not that I don't love big beers!).

Views: 261

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

And he probably like the look of you too then.... sorry that was sick.
Mind you I was only 12

Lucky he didn't see you then ?
What he said.

Seriously, I do agree that there is a tendency for "more of everything" which gets a little wearing after a while. Although I like drinking and brewing bold, dramatic beers, I also really enjoy the subtlety and balance of a good session ale.

We're all individuals (cue someone at the back shouting "I'm not!") and we sometimes need to recognise that more.
I didn't love that beer so much but I do love Mata Artesian.
Im with you, I often find myself loving beers that the hophead market dont rate at all. Im looking forward to the Saison.
Standards are most certainly getting higher, and I posted a link in an earlier forum on how they are having this problem in the US now.

It used to be that one would taste SNPA, and think, "WOW!" These days, there are an awful lot of good beers out there. The problem is that in the zeal to try many, you will find those who are constantly on the hunt to look for new beers, and not really know the difference between a good beer and a bad beer. Obviously you are trying new beers, but I would not classify your tasting habits of those people.

Instead, I think what is happening is that you have built a rather educated pallet. You have tasted many good beers, and now really don't give a damn about what other people are saying about a beer. Instead, if you find it to be a good beer, you say so.

I have noticed you mention a few beers here that were actually quite common, but yet you found these to be good beers. In kind, one of my favorite beers today is the Cooper's Stout. Although many of the bottles taste a bit oxidized, it is a good beer for the style.

Keep up letting us know what you like! If you find something new and enjoyable, I will be happy to go give it a go myself!
I'm not sure I feel alone - certainly not here.

I remember you commenting on something a year or so ago along the lines of having moved through the 'more is more - hops, alcohol, malt - everything' phase and into more of a 'balance rules' kind of place. I guess not many people have had the time/opportunity/motivation to try as many beers as you have, so you've found yourself ahead of the curve.

As a few others say though, craft beer in NZ has never been as good as it is now, so it's no wonder there's so many different opinions given the variety on offer for those who care to look.

Me, I'm still in the 'more is more' phase - bring on the hops!
Ive seen a few beers mentioned that I normaly rave about in this thead but most people meh about)
Pitch Black,Coopers Best Extra Stout,Paradox

Definatley variety is the spice of beer life!!
have a Maximus and anything else tastes like water
have a Stella and monteiths original tastes like water LOL!

Jokes aside to much of anything makes you go meh meh!

Correct me if im wrong but isnt that why we all brew to get the variety and styles we love!
The last time I really tasted Stella (about two years ago) I was quite impressed.
I have drunk one or two since but they were in situation where I was more involved in conversation than thinking about the quality of the beer.
Don't believe a word this man says. If others liked the beers he liked, he'd just find something else to like anyway ;-)

(of course, if he liked the same beers as me, I'd change too)
I thought his "being different just to be different" streak mainly expressed itself in the trousers department? ;)

*hides*
If he starts wearing normal jeans, I refuse to start wearing green drain-pipes.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service