Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

I got told off for making a mess of the stove last weekend whilst brewing. To add to this, some good folks recommended that I get a burner before buying a chiller. (My wife would agree now. :) )

This leads me to questions about burners. Whilst searching other threads, I noticed the ones for Bunnings, and beerbelly.co.au, and even the rambo burner at brewcraft. However, I am unsure which is the best purchase for the money.

Assuming that I do not have a whole lot of cash to throw around, which would you suggest I go with? Remember that i would need to purchase the whole lot, regulator, tank, and burner.

Cheers!

Views: 738

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

So far my biggest boil is 27L and once i get the boil going i need to turn the outside burner down as it's a really big rolling boil. It does put a lot of carbon on the bottom of the pot so not getting as good a blue flame as my kitchen hob so pot doesn't look as nice now but i'm happy for the price.
Kiwicamp is out of stock on those burners, and the Welly shop didn't have any in stock either. :(

I suppose either a trip into Bunnings is in order, or I may have to buy something in Aussie. I have been avoiding Aussie since I saw someone here paid $80 for shipping.
Those 3 ring kiwicamp burners only go for $50 at the BBQ factory!!
I just called. They do not sell ring burners anymore.

I will try going to Bunnings after work.
The price of burners are steep from what ive seen. I almost just wanna get one of those electric urns off craftbrewer. I cant decide!
At craftbrewer the Rambo burner looks nice, but is damn expensive. I suppose with shipping, it would be as much as a urn. However, I am happy with my pot and bag from Liberty, so some sort of burner is in order.
FYI...Bunnings has three ring burners, but they are about $69 NZD. Add the regulator, the canister, and the gas, and you are at $200.

Maybe the rambo burner is not such a bad deal, depending on shipping costs.

I am glad I picked an inexpensive hobby to save money on my beer. ;)
Ahhh i don't know what expensive burners you lot are buying but i bought a three ring from bunnings about 4 months ago for $39 and its does just fine for the 90L boils. Reg and gas line was $25 and gas bottle was $45 maybe chch bunnings is cheaper???
If you look at it that way Michael, id definately consider the rambo burner, even tho its expensive, theyre the bizzness! It wouldnt take you long at all to get 20-30litres to the boil with on of those!!

And you could allways just fly to brisbane and pick it up ;o) Good excuse for a holiday lol

Actually - The more I think about it, the more I think its going to be cheaper to just get a 2KW element put into your liberty kettle?? Surely you could do that for under $100 and then as Joseph says youll never need to buy gas again...
What's one of those transformers worth that step down from 110 to 240V? Might be good if you're travelling around Michael?

A burner could be a bit of a pain in the arse to lug around with ya.
Most of the readily transformers just cannot handle that kind of juice. I have a rather large one, and it only handles 600VA.

Honestly, I am not very handy. If it does not have a keyboard it confuses me. So, cutting on the kettle is out of my comfort zone, and I do not have a torch or any other tools that would be needed to do so.

So, going on the cheap at Bunnings would require the following

3 ring burner ~$68
Regulator - $39
9kg propane tank $45 at the warehouse
Fill the tank I dont know. About $40?
Tank fill about $30 at Porirua Cylinder Testing you could also talk to them about a secondhand cyl? Maybe a bit cheaper? they also sell regs and burners but I think there prices are similar to Bunnings on those.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service