Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94608

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Up at 6:30am to brew, seems my two year old likes my brew gear, as I found some of it 45 minutes later in her room, another 30 minutes later after a coffee or two game was on. Brew is in the bath cooling at the moment... damn immersion chiller broke again.

SG was 1.040/2 @ 40C so I believe I hit about 1.047/9 @ 15 / 16C. Is that good off 5.5kg? ABV on hydrometer was 5.5% (ish).

Hop schedule was Czech Saaz (3.2) 50g @ 60, 30g @ 20, 20g @ 5. (Works out about 26/7 which is out of style).

1 tsp Irsh moss at 10.

Having to change yeast to W34/70 as forgot to smack the pack... (what a dick).
Dont worry about not smacking the pack, it will still work, best you make a quick starter tho, plenty of time if its bath chilling..
Finally got this pilsner into a keg! So it was three weeks in primary then four weeks in secondary. No oxidation that I can taste from the fermenter, and I think it is very smooth to drink! Here's a picture.... a little cloudy, however Joking has given me some really good tips for the next brew to reduce my haze. I was going to add some gelatin into the keg, however I can live with a little cloudiness if it tastes good.

Looks Nice = Geletin wont clear that haze, James. That looks like a normal chill haze to me: you will be able to tell if it becomes clear at room temp.
It was in secondary at 2C so that could account for it... I'll give it over night to settle into the keg and "test" the haze tomorrow.
Been reading a bit about English Summer Ales, might try one.

Sites here and here for anyone that's interested.

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: English Summer Ale
Brewer: Glen Simpson
Asst Brewer:
Style: Blonde Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 20.00 L
Boil Size: 28.00 L
Estimated OG: 1.049 SG
Estimated Color: 3.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 49.2 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 76.00 %
Boil Time: 70 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.15 kg ..Pale Malt (Barrett Burston) (2.0 SRM) Grain 80.31 %
0.36 kg .Wheat Malt, Pale (Weyermann) (2.0 SRM) Grain 9.27 %
0.11 kg .Munich I (Weyermann) (7.1 SRM) Grain 2.77 %
20.00 gm .Pacific Gem [13.80 %] (60 min) Hops 35.3 IBU
20.00 gm .Golding [5.40 %] (30 min) Hops 10.6 IBU
15.00 gm .Saaz [3.00 %] (5 min) Hops 1.2 IBU
15.00 gm .Golding [5.40 %] (5 min) Hops 2.1 IBU
1.00 tsp .Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1.25 tsp .Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
0.30 kg .Dememera Sugar (2.0 SRM) Sugar 7.65 %
1 Pkgs Burton Ale (White Labs #WLP023) [Starter 1Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body
Total Grain Weight: 3.62 kg
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Light Body
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
90 min Mash In Add 9.44 L of water at 71.2 C 65.0 C
10 min Mash Out Add 6.04 L of water at 94.5 C 75.6 C

Any advice from the experts? Kinda not sure on this one yet.
This was the beer I was trying to brew with the case swap beer.

It sounds like a lovely supping beer but with plenty of bitterness. What's your target FG? 1008 or something along those lines?
I'm not sure, didn't have any numbers in mind, was just gonna let it take it's course. Only used this yeast once and haven't added sugar to a recipe in a long time. But at a guess 1006 - 1008.
Sounds a bit to bitter for my idea of a summer ale. I'm planning my own Summer Ale at the moment and was planning on keeping the bitterness just below 30IBU.

Everything alse looks pretty good though. First I've heard of Dememera Sugar, sounds interesting.
Yeah, I thought it was a little bitter but I'm trying to not stray away from the original recipes the first time round brewing it, I'm never happy when I do so. I don't mind a tongue splitter anyways :-P

I'm thinking of maybe adding a little more gypsum than I usually do, in hopes of making the bitterness quite crisp, but I'm not too sure yet.

Sitting in the sun at the moment I'm thinking a dry beer with a nice crisp bitter finish would go down bloody well.
I brewed a summer ale for next weeks Auckland Guild of Brewers and Winemakers end of year party - doubling as SOBA's last meeting for the year.
It's in the keg at the moment conditioning and tasting pretty hoppy and refreshing.
4.4kg Golden Promise
180gm light crystalmash 65 degrees for 60 minutes
NZ goldings/NZ cascade; 20gm/10gm; 60/15/0 minutes
OG 1.042, FG 1.009 (S05)
mmm, yum this looks like the nice sort of summer ale I'm going to brew next.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service