Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94596

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

kegged this last week and had my first taste last night... it needs some isinglass, and a couple more weeks, but... hell yeah!!! I like this yeast.  I burtonised the water too, so it's as dry as the Eyre Basin in late summer.

Look forward to checking the Big Exit fermenter when I get home.

Youseem to have realtively short times in the fermenter Stu ?
Especially compared with the 'and another week to let the yeast clean it up' sort of stuff I read

Does the conditioning count for more do you think ?

I've posted this before, and still feel strongly that when the yeast has stopped eating, its stopped cleaning up too!! I've crashed my fermentation before to stop getting a low FG and my beer didnt taste like it needed 'cleaning up'

I think its hype tbh JT, there was a heap of info and a thread on it which I can't seem to find, but nothing in the literature indicated anything is 'cleaned up' really

Brewing this tomorrow everyones doing then so I might jumpish on the band wagon RED IPA's

88% Halcyon

8% Cara Red

4% Caraaroma

65Deg Mash

10Ibu Cascade @ 60

30g Cascade@ 10, 0

30g Southern Cross @ 10, 0

1.040 - 1010 4%abv

35Ibu

34/70 @ 10degrees  

Brewed this today.  My pale ale keg dried up on Xmas eve so I'm all out of pale ale for NY :-(

S-Sharp

OG 1.048

IBU 24

BU:GU 0.51

Batch Size (L) 22

Boil time(min) 60

Fermentables:

3.8kg Golden Promise

400g Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L

150g Carared

150g Cara-Pils/Dextrine

100g Munich Malt II

100g Wheat Malt

Hops:

6g Simcoe @ 60 min [12.2 %AA]

6g Styrian @ 30 min [6.4% AA]

5g Simcoe @ 30 min

15g Styrian @ 10 min

10g Simcoe @ 10 min

30g Styrian @ 0 min

20g Simcoe @ 0 min

30g Styrian Dry 5 days

20g Simcoe Dry 5 days

Yeast:

Safale US-05

currently have coopers australian pale ale on the go. next week is my first try with real hops - starting with a basic fuggles bitter. any hints?

I'd go with this.

But got 100% unhopped pale extract (ie don't use any amber, 5 - 6lb of pale extract) and one 11.5g sachet of SO5 or SO4 yeast.

I'm saying farewell to 2010 with an English pale ale, vaguely in the style of Timmy Taylor's Landlord. Two-hour boil to get some caramelisation, English hops and lovely lovely Wy1469PC West Yorkshire Ale.

I can see myself focussing more on session ales next year, really trying to nail a couple of styles. This is going to be one of them.

"...really trying to nail a couple of styles..."

That's my plan for next year also, got three or four styles I really want to dial in.

Yup - I've got a go-to APA and Porter. I'd like to add a couple of session pale ales - NZ and English. Maybe an Amber also.
My plain is to do a Helles style blonde-ale, APA, and ordinary bitter.  Might chuck an IPA or something dark into the mix too.  I do like me a good porter.

Good luck guys.  I've been trying to nail my NZ Pale all this year and my palate & preferences are changing faster than I can brew them.  

I'm pretty sure Aerosmith were singing about brewing when they said "Life's a journey, not a destination".  In fact they may even been singing specifically about B, C, D, P & S-Sharp.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service