Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94596

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think all of the NZ hops get better with age... my pacifica, sauvin, motueka blend has been so good to me over the last 6 months and these hops were all coming up for 18 months since harvest.
Interesting. I just recently brewed a Black IPA (yeah, I've given in on the nomenclature) and that's similar to the hop blend I used, though NZ Hallertau instead of Pacifica. Ratio was 60% Sauvin, 30% Mot, 10% Hallertau for all additions. It's by far my best attempt at NZ hopping ever. I'm actually pretty proud of it. Credit where it's due, I took some advice from The Devil. ;) Seems like everyone is coming to similar conclusions.
I've been using 1/3 each: Sauvin, Motueka, Pacifica. It's the closest I've got to getting a good NZ Amber Ale... but I have a few other ideas up my sleeve, they'll have to wait until next year though as I'm on a different (less hopped) journey for now.
I think all of the NZ hops get better with age...

I don't know if it is age or vintage variation but the 2009 hops are a lot better now than the 2010 crop. I'm almost tempted to puncture the 2010 bags and put them out in the sun to make them age faster:)
Well the Europeans let thier hops age and oxidise a bit to take the green edge off.
A hazy memory of Rewired helped inform my recipe a bit.
If it it helps your hazy memory a bit, Rewired is pacifica and nz cascade at the end. your malt bill is a bit different but I alomost like the look of yours better. I think the small addition of amber with give it a nice touch!
Cheers Soren! Nice of you to throw out there the hops for your commercial beer!
The best brewers are the sharing brewers. Awesome.
The exact flavours I got from the beer are hazy, what remains clear is how amazing it was. I can only hope mine gets somewhere near.
See - I told you it'd be the next big thing!
next it'll be brown IPA
Itll be small IPA, im telling you ;o) lol

Gonna start tweaking my recipe soon, in time for summer!! Minimus better watch out cos I dare say im going to nail it this year!! haha
I reckon I got the Mini IPA sorted better than Minumus and your's Tyler... You had a sneak peak of it down here on the hand pump.
Itll be small IPA, im telling you

Close. I was all Blonde & Blande last summer but this year It's hops, New Zealand Draught meets the Nelson Triploids

I'm playing with the late hopping Joe suggested for the brown, in a 1035 pale.
Leaning away from the Cascade to the Motueka

cheers. jt

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service