Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94599

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

where are you planning on sourcing your woodruff from?
woodruff

is dandruff an accepted substitute :-)
As witty as ever MrT.
nah, a bit childish really - the minds wandering a bit with a the thought of a Coopers kit Sunday
Brewed two of them First was all cooked corn and the second one wasnt that sour and had a little funk that I cant remember being in the ones in Germany, But tasted all mighty good with a little syrup!! I must brew another one!!
Sour Mash for 24 hours with tettnager it worked well the only thing was that I didnt want it to boil to long due to mash hops isomirising to much in the boil which lactic acid or extremly low ph and hop IBUs just dont work, I only boiled for twenty, just enough to boil of the DMS which was not long enough, like the sour mash is a massive dms producer. The next one was lith a lacto starter and a pitch of S05. The lactic was a little old and I suspect that the yeast killed it of before the lacto had a chance to sour it. I would defintly do it the last way again just with a fresh lactic starter (1.010 starter wort gravity though) and dry yeast and not use any hops
Patrick, yeap - I think style guidelines say 1.028 to 1.032. FG? Dunno? I'm expecting 1.005ish I guess. I've never made it to Germany let alone Berlin haha. And the only BW I've had was the DFH Festina Peche, which I didn't really rate, but thought it had potential.

Rev, ahh dunno, lacto doesn't seem to grow that much and/or it has a really small cell size. Looking in the bottom of the starter it looks like the same amount of slurry you'd get from an ordinary 1.5 - 2L starter. From what I've read the most common problem with BWs is that they don't get sour enough - so I wanna make sure it gets a good head start.

Stu - http://www.zuckerhut.co.nz/category/42/Beverages.boss, haven't look around much but that's one place
I've seen.

Crabbey - I ordered some LD from morebeer (WLP strain). I considered a sour mash too but I don't really have time for a 2 - 3 day brewday haha.
You da man Glen. Hook a fella up with some LD slurry would ya?
Good shit Glen, looks like youve done all your homework, as usual! Ill be keen to come over and have a taste when its ready!

How much of that woodruff stuff are you going to put in?
Tyler, woodruff will be added to the glass to taste, I think that's what they do traditionally. I bought some of the cherry syrup they have too, I reckon that could work well.

Mike, was thinking I may give that a shot if mine doesn't get sour enough, I've heard some others have had some good results by tweaking with lactic acid. Although, this lacto ferment is fucking mental, looks like a good healthy sacc ferment, krausen and all.
Nice maybee it will sour up, I cnat reall the ones in Berlin that funky just sweet really from the raspberry syrup. I suppose reality is that why not just use acid to sour it because the funkyness disapears anyway once the syrup is added?
I've heard that the ones that just have lactic acid added aren't the same, but no first hand experience.

I guess it's all the trace amounts of things that all add up to a little something, which makes sense to me.

I guess it would be like removing the sugar from wort and adding vodka, just wouldn't be the same.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service