Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Ok, so What Are You Brewing was a hotty, as topics go.

Now I'm 15 pints into a keg I only filled on Tuesday and wondering if anyone else has a favourite at the moment ?

It's my second brown with US-Oh05 and it's better than the forst, maybe Ikept the temps down a bit during the scorcher we had in januray

Views: 20341

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've done this before. I added a couple of pellets to the bottle and it was like Mt St Helen's all over again... Must have lost half the bottle because I couldn't stop the gush.
Ah really? I've read of people doing it before. Bugger.

Might still try my luck though haha.
Good point.

I've made warm hop tea before and it turns into a nasty, vegetal smelling, mess.

I may try it cold. Or maybe try make an 'extract' by steeping hops in some vodka and then adding that to a beer.
I like the vodka idea, should help to extract some hop oils.
I've done this and had no problems - I kegged the beer and carbonated, then bottled with a hop pellet in each bottle. Poouring a bright beer was the only real issue. they certainly picked up different characters from the different hops.
Cheers, not too worried about a bright beer, as long as I can get enough off the top for a good smell and a few sips I'll be happy. Even if it ends up having too many floaties to drink aroma assessment will still be good.

Do you reckon one pellet was enough, or would you have gone more/less to get a good feel for the hop?
A couple or three might be good but I wouldn't do any more. Just think of 20g in 20L and then break it down... I was doing it in 750ml bottles and was making sure they were big pellets, rather than those little bitsy offcuts.
Yeah, might have to break out the ol' heroin scales and measure some pellets and work it out at 1g/L.
Quite surprised with 678 - Mild Mk VI - in the keg, had a few pints in the last couple of days
It was a real malt tonic when I kegged it, but it's a bit more balanced after a few days conditioning.
It's on the light side - 3.3% - but it's extremely quaffable.

Next version brewing on the weekend with 25% Global Kolsch instead of all ADM Pils
Last night: Townshend Cathcarts NTA, a superb wee (4.2%) pale ale. If this beer was on handpump in Wellington it'd probably be my go to beer. I followed it up with my 3.5% Summer Bitter (GP, 2% Crystal and 2% Wheat with single hopping of Pacifica) and the NTA spanked my beer's arse. I'm hoping that mine grows up (in the next week or two) to be almost as good.

Townshend No. 9 Stout right now... delicious. Something stronger to follow up later tonight... probably PKB (Remixed),
For weeks I have heard you praise the NTA and stout, Stu. today I finally did something about it! I went all the way (the whole whopping 500 m from my house) to springlands fresh choice and got a bottle of both. Having the NTA now and you know what? it's pretty darn good! it's pretty subtle and that kinda beer is usually not my beer of choice but I am really enjoying this. nice chewy malt with some fresh citrus hoppiness. lingering slightly bitter maltiness. tasty! Hope I can get around to having the stout tonight too.
Ok, that didn't take me long... the stout is equally good! looks like stout, smells like stout, taste like stout. stout for sure! very tasty. more spritzy, fresh and hoppy than a traditional british stout but more mellow that a classic example of an american stout.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service