Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Ok, so What Are You Brewing was a hotty, as topics go.

Now I'm 15 pints into a keg I only filled on Tuesday and wondering if anyone else has a favourite at the moment ?

It's my second brown with US-Oh05 and it's better than the forst, maybe Ikept the temps down a bit during the scorcher we had in januray

Views: 20363

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Blue Blistering Barnacles Stu, not a Belgian Steam Beer ?
At 3% it would be a belgian ordinary steam beer.
Tried two of a random selection of Stu's beers. The first poured a brilliant cherry red with a phat nose of belgian funk. Dry, spicy and moorish. The second looked very similar but had a quite different profile, gone was the funk replaced by more subdued fruity esters. I suspect these beers were the same beer but with different yeasts? I could be wrong but if so its a great lesson in the importance of yeast to the final product. I preferred the former, Tina the latter.
Just got in from some work in the garden and opened bottle number 3, quite dark with a hint of alcohol and something else...plums? Full of biscuits and raisins, and a deep rich but mellow malt profile. Love your work Stu
Cheers Bambule... I've driven through your garden, it's quite a ride!

Yep, the pale beers were from the same kettle - an amazing display of the difference that yeast makes. One had Chimay yeast (very dry, banana, spicy, slightly hazy) and the other had Achouffe yeast (sweeter, more stone/autumn fruity, much clearer). I preferred the Achouffe but it didn't ferment as well so had a bit of DMS showing through - I suspect that was a combo of the 60min boil and the AMD malt.
I'm glad they held up ok. I bottled them a month ago and had meant to put them in the fridge but forgot about them in the cellar... I was absolutely paranoid that I'd given you three drain pours and one ok beer. So... the last one is probably the blens... if so, be honest.
King Cardinal Stout, around 6% - Pours deep, dark black with a rich brown head, large bubbles. Aroma, not sure. Taste: Caramel, Raisins, little bit of Coffee. Thick and creamy on the palate. Needs another few months to condition...

de Joux Brew, around 4.5% - Golden straw/amber colour with insanely fluffy white head which sticks all over the glass to the last drop. Aroma: Oh god, I nearly creamed my pants. Hops galore! Taste: Hops! Hops! Bitterness! Ohhh, theres some malt.. mmm. Hops!
If you guys are keen, we have the Emerson's Old Cascade available by mail order, either ring or email. This brew is not available to supermarkets as has no bar-code cos we brewer's want to have fun without getting bogged down with too much compliance! Next Brewer's Reserve is "Little Red Rooster" modeled loosely on the Vienna Red Lagers.
Cheers!
Cheers Emersons a big thank you!!!! my friend turned up at your door step and got me a couple bottles of the Old Cascade and somthing else I foolishly drunk before I realsised I had none left!!!! Oh and a Big Rigger????? Absoulute legends he also mentioned that you guys said it should age well also!! When you reacon it will be good?
Oh...I LOVE a vienna lager. Excellent choice
About to try a Mussel Inn Red Deer.. and will share a Monkey Puzzle on the weekend (1 Rigger is over 10 standard drinks!).

Red Deer:
http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/mussel-inn-red-deer/73622/

Monkey Puzzle:
http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/mussel-inn-monkey-puzzle/14426/

Available in 1.3l Riggers from us, for a limited time:
http://www.beerstore.co.nz/search.lasso?Brewery=The%20Mussel%20Inn

Regards
Daniel
The Beer Store
Thanks to Daniel and the boys at the Beer Store I will be trying the Mussel Inn beers. Oh what a weekend, nothing better to do as the weather is going to be nasty.

Watch my reviews at ratebeer.com

Chris
Weird drinking style tonight???????

My Russian Imperial Stout
My Imperial Smoked Stout
My IPA
La Choffe
Rogue Mocha Porter

To many big beers time for bed
Go the La Chouffe, I've got a Poperings but after the after work drinks and a Mayhem from Luke (thanks), I am not sure if I should crack it.

Anyone go to the Moa tasting last week? Am interested in sharing thoughts. I like the idea but not so sure about the beer unless it is an aged St Joseph. The young stuff was good, but not fab like the older stuff I raved about a few weeks ago.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service