Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Ok, so What Are You Brewing was a hotty, as topics go.

Now I'm 15 pints into a keg I only filled on Tuesday and wondering if anyone else has a favourite at the moment ?

It's my second brown with US-Oh05 and it's better than the forst, maybe Ikept the temps down a bit during the scorcher we had in januray

Views: 20346

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yeah it's weird, last night I had my last bottle of the amber and would have picked that as the more bitter beer - it's stats were 1.080 - 1.019 - 95 IBU vs the cent IPA at 1.072 - 1.014 - 115 IBU. The IPA also included some high cohumulone hops at 60 minutes where the amber was all low cohumulone.

By the numbers the IPA should have been waaaaaaaaaaaaaay more bitter but different in reality. Only thing I can put it down to is old hops or just bad utilisation.
I too would put the Amber as the more bitter beer, I drank that first and after I could def taste the malt sweetness in the IPA.. Def weird, but I guess its one of those brewing mysterys eh?

Still, both damn good beers, which is all that matters in the end ;o)

Edit : Sorta makes me think of say His Majesty vs Hopwired, im pretty sure Hopwired has more hops and IBU, but the perceived bitterness of His Majesty was definately ALOT higher!! Theres gotta be another reason why? Water maybe? The darker malts in the amber acidifying the PH a bit more or something??
Water maybe?

Water was the same profile for both of my beers but def plays a role.

The darker malts in the amber acidifying the PH a bit more or something??

This could be it actually - I dunno how the buffering thing works post mash/boil but I know some acidity can make up for IBU.
Drinking Rev's Cream Ale as we speak...well, type.

I still stand by my initial comment when first seeing the recipe a year ago - definitely a blonde ale/extra pale ale ;-)

Nice beer mate.

A touch thin and acidic but that's to be expected with a beer like this - but it makes for one hell of a thirst quencher. Some nice fruity hoppy goodness on the nose, a little sulphur too but far from unpleasant and more complimentary than anything. Nicely balanced bitterness, with a really good crisp, carbonic crispness in the finish. Light in flavour then rolls into good simcoe hop flavour. Only gets better as it warms up too, stupidly put it in my 4C fridge not my 8C beer fridge.

Only constructive criticism I'd give it is to get it to finish a little higher - but sounds like this one was a little lower than usual. Overall a little stunner you got there mate - just wish I was drinking it in the middle of summer not a shitty, windy, 15C night :-P
Glad you liked it Glen, im definately pretty happy with the recipe, I just know if im using the WLP-080 strain over US-05 not to add sugar to get it to finish a bit higher, its perfect at around 1006-1008, but like you say 1004 is a bit too dry...

I definately prefer the wlp080 overall, it gives that subtle sulpher note on the nose and pronounces the hop aroma more as well! Its just more of a hungry beast ;o)
OMG!!!!!!!!! Super special nummy nummy num nums malt is unbelievably SUPER NUMMY NUMMY NUM NUMS!!!!!!!

By far the best English style beer I've brewed. It's nice.
Tell us more....
Just that Brown Ale I brewed a fortnight ago. I had a hydrometer sample... and liked it!
Hydrometer sample of a browny tonight too - kegging.

Also a pint of the bitza Brown - 3% goodness
SUPER NUMMY NUMMY NUM NUMS Tell us more

Sounds like dinnertime with a spoon of pureed goodness being waved infront of Poppy ?
Bottle of my workmates latest batch, based on a malt extract version of the Pink Frost (cs4). Quite cloudy so i'll need to recommend fining to him (i think this is his 4th beer) but really nice and easily his best beer yet. Big bristly hoppiness with a soft caramel malt and the carbonation is spot on. Enjoyable and well brewed.
Flying visit to Galbraith's Ale House last night, Porter and B&T were nice, Bob's was very very good, Bellringers outstanding (as was the resurrection pie!).

Nice to see all the Hallertau beers in the fridge, not just the big bottles. The labels look pretty good, very eye catching. We might have to copy them ;-)

Return to Magenta is on tap there too and smelling absolutely fantastic (everyone I was with, including Sam, assured me it was tasting great too... I'd love to have had one but it's so rare for me to get a chance to go through the house beers! I'm leaning towards thinking R2M is the best Yeastie release yet).

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service