Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Hey,

I'm trying to make an easy drinking lawnmower style beer at the moment. Am restricted to ales because I don't have any place to lager. I was thinking of going for something like (for 19l):

3.5kg base malt
700g vienna or munich
mash fairly low (probably 65ish)

German hops to bitter and aroma:
hallertauer 5% 20g for 60mins
tett 4.5g 15g for 15 minutes

Ferment with something fairly neutral (possibly US-05)

I know it's fairly unimaginative but I'm just after something pretty easy drinking and uncomplicated

Comments?

Views: 246

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Note to self: do not try and do your first AG with a deadline.

I made far too many mistakes today. Let my mash temperature slip below 65, Got some water into the wort from the chiller. Efficiency was rubbish. syphon tube was too short.

It was a good laugh but the next time I'll be super focused on my steps
It is quite easy to panic in the first few brews, however what you describe doesn't sound so bad!

65 is completely acceptable... Don't forget that about 75% of the starches will have converted in the first 20mins. I would be omre concerned if you could equalize the temp after striking to below 68 as you could quite likely end up with quiete a sweet lawnmower beer!

By rubbish, what do you mean? 70%... 60%? You may find that the extra water from your chiller may have given you a false efficiency calculation: an extra Litre after the boil makes quite a difference! So if the efficiency is low - you'll have a lower alcohol beer... no big deal! You'll be able to have more when you mow the lawns!
I think any brew day with a deadline is trouble, let alone your first AG!

You'll be right though. My first AG was rubbish and various bits of equipment didn't work, but it still tasted great a few weeks later. As long as your cleaning, sanitising and yeast-health were ok, you'll end up with some tasty beer.
The deadline I had was fine. I set myself the target of being ready for the party I was going to at 8pm.

Only problem was that the party was at 7pm. PANIC STATIONS!
A high efficiency is, by bar and away, the most over-rated "thing" in hombrewing.
Don't worry at all about trying to improve it right now. It's important in making Lion Red (at 5c per litre, or whatever they make it for) but it is not important in making the best beer in the world (the one you made).
Do, however, get to know your brewery efficiency so that you can calculate the amount of water, malt, hops and yeast (etc) you need to get to to the beer you are looking for.

ps. welcome to the world of all-grain... the world is now your oyster stout.
Hellaluya- brothers and sisters
I don't doubt that you're right but it's still pretty disappointing to hit 1035 ish when I intentionally set the efficiency low in BeerSmith.
I've hit 80% efficiency now with two BIAB brews after changing my method. Instead of just pulling the bag out, I leave out two litres of water and then sparge with it. It's bumped my efficency up 5% with minimal effort, and it means I can fit more grain in the pot. Oh and a bit of a gloat, my St. Paddies Steadfast Stout (which I thought was infected) ended up winning the Uni brew-club comp on Sat :D
Did you bring your temp up to 72 for a mash out, then sparged with 2 litres of water?
Nope, just pulled out at the end of the 90 mins and sparged with the hot water... seems to work, spot on 80% both times now.
Well, I cracked my first one of these today.

Final recipe was as follows:

3.2kg pale malt
800gm amber malt

Green bullet to 10IBU @60 mins
NZ Saaz to 7IBU at 10 minutes

Carrageen* to clear at 10 mins too.

Mashed v. cool...closer to 65/66C

I primed 4 bottles with some honey just to check it out and I have the remainder in secondary at the moment (US-05 doesn't drop out that well eh?)

It's really nice. It's a typical lawnmower, inoffensive beer and there's nothing to set it apart from shop bought beer...nothing except that I made it myself from SCRATCH!! I'm pretty bloody proud in case you all didn't notice.

Yay for AG!

* I think it's a bit weird to call it irish moss when you're a mick. Should it be just moss? ;-)
Well done Rusty!!

So, can't call it Irish moss, maybe we put whiskers and a tail on it and call it Micky Moss.... :)

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service