Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

I recently purchased full ingredients for an all grain pilsner from Dunedin Malthouse.

On Wednesday night I prepared 1000ml of starter wort and opened the little bottle of yeast. As soon as the seal broke the yeast fizzed out all over the bench with a strong smell of vinegar, I hadn't even removed the lid. Very dissapointing.

I emailed Dennis at Dunedin Malthouse to let him know and sent him picture of the yeast. He replied stating that he had a bottle that did the same thing and that I should not use it if I'm not sure of it. There was no apology or offer of refund/replacement. I'm not sure which is more dissapointing, the yeast or the service.

I've heard that some people have had good results with these yeasts and that's why I decided to try them. It seems that, at best, these yeasts are inconsistent.

I would recommend to anyone considering buying liquid yeast from Dunedin Malthouse that you would be better off putting your money towards a decent liquid yeast from a reputable source or stick with dried yeast.

Views: 367

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Shame about the yeast, im surprised you weren't offered a refund! you,d be better off purchasing a fresh smack pack off realbeer, ive used Dmh yeasts in the past and havent had a prob, but i,d rather pay twice the price for a fresh propagator and have 100% no worries, personally I wouldnt use a dry yeast for a lager, previous results have been poor.
I've twice tasted problematic beer brewed with yeast from there and advised the brewers to either buy lab fresh liquid yeast or dry. Think I've mentioned it here before too. Nothing against the store... but my time is worth more than taking that risk, I'm sure everyone else's is too.
I found that craftbrewer.com.au now supply Wyeast smackpack liquid yeasts for about $10.00 NZ + postage.

Even with the postage and exchange rate, it is pretty cheap
Also WhiteLabs from Morebeer works out quite cheap if you order a few vials.
Thanks guys.

I just ordered a couple of smackpacks from craftbrewer. Might just have enough time to get my NZ Pils ready for the comp :)
Did you organise an expedited delivery with cooler bricks? (Probably not needed now, but will definately be needed in summer)
Didn't see cooler bricks as an option.
You've also got to consider that craftbrewers stock is three weeks old and will also spend some days in transit.
If you plan ahead a bit and want the freshest yeast, buy from realbeer
From memory it's never been more than 10 days old when I've received it

cheers, jt
Ross from craftbrewer replied to me advising he doesn't use cooler bags at the moment....

I have had viable Wyeast from realbeer that was two months old when it arrived to me, sat in my fridge for another two - three months before I got around to smacking it. Just left it to activate over the course of 5 days. No worries there for me!
I received some Activator Wyeasts from Ross @ Craftbrewer. They were sent on Wednesday 30th July and arrived on Monday 4th August. Pretty quick lead time. Price is $NZ10 per pack. Manufactured on 21st July 2008. Postage was $13.50, you could choose an insurance option at a higher price.

How come realbeer charge $24.95 each for these and you have to preorder??

Rich
I did from morebeer. One for each vial. I orded around the autumn period here and they were cool, but not cold when they got here. They were in transit for around 8 days. And so far from the starters I've made from them they all seemed fine.
No, I didn't see that as an option either. I ordered online, maybe an email or phone order would have more options. It's too late now anyway. Fingers crossed :)
Have you tried your yeasts yet Mr Cherry? What was the outcome?

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service