Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

I'm just about ready to keg my first brew but I still need to get my hands on a co2 bottle. I don't want to rent one I would much prefer to buy one and the only place I found so far is $250 for a 3.5kg bottle.
I know I can get one from the states for around $170 including shipping but dont really want to wait the two weeks.

Views: 7010

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Before you buy a CO2 bottle call around and see if you can actually get it filled, I found all the places I talked to will only fill their own bottles that they rent out.

I've heard talks of converting fire extinquishers, but don't know muhc about it, maybe someone else here could chime in on that?
Cheaper options:
look on trade me there are regulators for sodastream bottles that they use for mig welding, there are also bigger CO2 bottles used for paint balling as well
I got my bottle from a cylinder testing place filled and newly tested try them as well as a fire extinguisher places they should be able to get them filled for you as well.

I would not be getting a cylinder from overseas as you will still need to pay to get get it
tested here .
Have fun
Cheers
Gas bottles from the states have a different thread fitting which probably won't fit your regulator. I think here in Wellington the commercial gas outfits will only fill their own bottles.

Since you're in Waikato maybe supagas.co.nz would be worth checking out.
The ones from the states will not be approved for use here. So, although you can actually get the fitting sorted ok, nobody will fill the bottles. It's a tight little industry.

The other advice should see you right in regards to cheap ways about it. My bottle was $350 (5kg) but it'll last me a long long time, I reckon... (and it only costs about $30 for a years worth of gas, not sure what the rental costs are).

My micromatic regulator is great. It came from the states and cost me about $15 to convert to the NZ thread (same place I got the bottle from - Ward's in the Hutt).

I actually got two kegs, a regulator, a bottle and all the lines and fittings from MoreBeer.com. Even though I had to toss the bottle it still worked out a lot cheaper than buying the kegging kits from a homebrew store here (and the exchange rate is even better now).
For anyone heading this way also, just got a quote from Wards this arvo - $415 for a 6.8kg new (and full). Seemingly BOC is raising their prices, causing people to go out and buy their own (and thus smaller sizes are seemingly 'very hard to come by'). The guy said the BOC people wanted to sign people up for a 4 year contract - gulp!?
Shit 6.8kg's pretty massive, that would last me more than a year easy!!!
Sucked it up and got the bottle at Wards. Walking into that place is dangerous on the pocket - ended up buying a C40 burner too (though fortunately a good deal cheaper).
Dave K. Why don't you want to rent one? The advantages to renting are. No testing costs. No initial outlay. No hunting about for a re-fill.
The disadvantages are... er... you don't own the actuall cylinder. Thats about it as far as i can tell.
I use BOC gases up here in Whangarei for mine. They are helpfull and friendly. They are also cheap. I have tried air liquide but found that they are more expensive and a bit difficult to deal with.
I ended up buying one and its working great for me. I just don't like the idea of having another bill to pay ever month.
the advantage of buying one is that it is much cheaper.
Dave,
I see you've got this sorted now, but to add to the discussion: Here in Wanganui, Richdale Fire Services sell converted fire extinguishers. They are tested, certified, painted and have a standard CO2 valve fitted. Mine cost $180 to buy and $14 to fill (from memory I think the initial fill was included in the $180). Purchase price is dependent on size.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service