Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94605

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm looking at brewing a Baltic style porter tomorrow.
20L

5.0 kg Light Munich
0.3 kg Biscuit
0.5 kg Pale Chocolate
0.3 kg Special B
0.2 kg CaraAroma

Hop to around 35- 40 IBU with Styrian Goldings and Czech Saaz at 60mins and 15 mins

Should I add any high diastatic power Pilsner Malt? Possibly Oat malt?
Any suggestions appreciated.
I reckon that looks good as is. Munich Malt has plenty enough DP to do the job, if you're worried mash for a bit longer - but I reckon it'll be sweet as.
Looks pretty good to me too. My only comment would be that all that Munich and Biscuit malt may make for a very biscuity Baltic porter. That's fine if that's what your after, though.

I'd maybe consider swapping all or some of the Biscuit malt for a light to medium crystal malt. Should be fine as it is though.
If you're going for a true-to-style Baltic, then try Carafa Special instead of the chocolate and drop the Biscuit in favour of more munich or, possibly, some Caramunich.

should be ood though... give it a really clean, low temp ferment, and then a long lager... YUM!

Redoak Baltic Porter was one of the best beers I drunk in 2009... in fact, one of the best I've ever drunk. If you can gleam any online tips about that beer you will be on the right track.
Looks good but I do agree that all that munich will make it quite bisquity. If you are in wellington you should head into Hashigo within the next few days. I have a Munich/Motueka single malt/single hop, interesting insight into how munich taste by itself.
Finally getting around to using up some smoked malt a mate left me before leaving for oz.

Timewell Smoked Porter

63% Global Kolsch
20% Weyermann Smoke
8% Brown
5% Pale Crystal
4% Pale Choc

28 IBU's at 60 of Williamette
20g of Fuggles at 10
32 IBU's all up - might need more, any thoughts?

Probably S-04 I think.
Put down my second FG yesterday.

American Wheat - 10L
1.2 kg Pils
1.2 kg Wheat
0.2 kg Munich
Amarillo at 60 and 20min.

Simple recipe from brew365, still learning how different flavours work together.

OG 1050

Should be good for summers day
Piglet - Unimperial Red Ale

A summer quaffer... Enough malt sweetness to go with the gutsy foods but enough hops to please the countless hopheathens that'll come looking for beer. Brewed Friday and I'll be drinking it well before Xmas.

Pale malt, wheat, pale crystal and dark crystal
Mashed at 69c
1.035... 15g/L of NZ Willamette (my fav hop in the last 6 months but I'm using my supply all up so I can justify buying more)

wait for it... S04!!!'
That's fifteen g/l Willamette Stu ?

i don't think even SO4 can hide that
Yep, that's the amount... though it's far less scary than it looks (being heavily mash-hopped, late hopped and dry hopped - with no boil addition earlier than 15min).

I've got 40L so it'll be on the handpump over Christmas and New Year, I'm sure... I've got a nice little 10L container that fits in my chilly bin and is perfect when you have a few guests around.

I considered US05 but, being a little 3.5% beer, I was concerned about it having a big hole in the middle (and it's a Piglet, not a Donut). Unfortunately my saison and abbey yeasts arrived too late, as this would have been an interesting beer to kick them off with, but I'll play with them in the next month or so... probably the Saison first.
After that explanation I just think you've been stingy with the hops and should have considered using the whole kilo bag !
I may well have done that if I'd had the whole kg left... i'm very intersted to see if any bitterness has come thorugh from mash hopping. If it has, the IBU may be a bit high... and if not, it may be a bit low!!

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service