Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

You won't miss this with the classy label... somehow this got called Brown Dog but it was actually named "Smokin' Beagles" in my promash files.  I prefer that... it's an attempt at a smoked American-style Brown (but NZ hops).

This was really just an excuse to use up a load of old smoked malt that I'd hung onto for ages and never used...  i was already gagging to brew Rex Attitude but the peat malt was still on its way.

Bearing in mind that I won't get out of bed for less than 80% smoked malt... here's the recipe:

85% Smoked 
10% CaraWheat
5% Carafa 2

Pacifica @60min (18ibu)
Pacifica @ 30min and 15min (2.5g/L each - 18 and 10ibu respectively)

Views: 77

Replies to This Discussion

Delicious. I've never drunk a smoked beer before, but would definitely go there again. On the nose: Burnt toffee, caramel. My girlfriend reckoned it smelled like some kind of syrupy liqueur. It tastes really smoky, but not overpowered as well. Nice balance of hops to malt. Lingering bitterness. I'd buy this.
Really liked this, much more than I expected to (of the two smoked beers I've had previously, I loved Big Smoke and didn't enjoy Smokin' Bishop at all).

Great aroma - caramel and smoke all bound up together. It reminded me a lot of my mother-in-law's smoked snapper, but without the fishiness (if that makes sense?). Very well balanced and hugely drinkable. The smoke is very definitely there but not overwhelming at all, and the body is just right. It's not something I could drink pint after pint of but as Stu says "I'd buy this".
Was this the Weyermann smoked malt?

I thought is was nicely balanced between the bacon bit flavour and the bitterness - maybe could have been a bit cleaner in the mid palate... I thought it was a little bit confused in that department. I wanted it to be a bit brighter - like a smokey scotch ale or something. It was good - don;t get me wrong: the flavours all melded together fairly well. I especially like how the smoke changed throughout the glass... going from bacon, to smoked fish, to smoked malt and at the end of the glass back to bacon again. Bit of a joyride really.

Great to have a taste - and the Barleywine was awesome too!

Cheers Stu.
barleywine?
Yeah - there was a bottle labelled "NZ Barleywine". I thought it tasted really nice.
hmmm... I gave one to Simon... did he not like the look of it?

Actually, that beer had something in common with the smoked one.
I did indeed like it ... as you put two bottles in I sent one up to Jo.

Very strong and really well brewed. Quite dry in comparison with the American ones which I find way too sweet. I'd quite happily of done two or three more (and put up with the hangover).
I drank this so long ago Ive got nothing insightful to say about it other than it was damn tasty. Havent tried a lot of smoked beers but definitely enjoyed this, I recall it being remiscent of the smoked almonds (aka bacon nuts) I had in my pantry at the time. Amen to the ability of smoke infusion to make something tasty even tastier.

cheers... not sure anyone still has to drink theirs but I suppose I can now tell everyone that it was made with made with Weyermann extract!!!  Leftover from when I owned www.libertybrewing.co.nz. Jabout 50% of the fermentables were Weyermann Smoked Malt and the rest was the Rauchbier extract.

And Jo/Simon, that "barleywine" was too!  Same again - 50% grain and 50% extract (Maibock, if I remember rightly)?

I thought it smelled a bit like lipstick - some weird combination between the hops and the smoked malt.  Occasionally it turned me on a bit but mostly it annoyed me.

Now you know why I've been so apologetic!

When you doing a Heavily Peated Barleywine Stu?

after the heavily peated tripel...

You could Smoke the Invert sugar with Whisky soaked oak chips as well aye!!

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service