Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

A few weeks back I brewed, or have attempted to brew a strong Stout. I used a lot of black malts, much brewing sugar, some chocolate extract for some extra flavour and kick, and used wine yeast to brew this one. It's been a few weeks now and all activity in the fermenter has ceased. However it's far too above the hydrometer mark in which to bottle. It tastes absolutely fantastic! Just wondering if now is the right time to bottle? I've taken Hydrometer readings for the last four or five days now and it remains at the same mark.

Views: 117

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What is the reading on the hydrometer?
Yes what's it at?

I brewed my first Russian Imperial Stout last year. OG 1.093. It stopped at 1.030. I couldn't believe it could finish so high. Thought the yeast must have died or I underpitched, so pitched 2x more, raised temperature, roused the yeast. No impact whatsoever. That's where it finished.

Brewing Classic Styles has two RIS recipes. One has a FG of 1.030, the other 1.037.
I used 1 oz per gallon of Chocolate wheat as an adjunct to the usual 1lb/gallon grain quantities for a lager.
It turned out a stout coloured lager, not by design I might add.
A powerful adjunct if you are after a cheap stout.
The next one I will use ale yeast since we are into warm weather.
I recon dark cane sugar will make an interesting addition on the next variation.
Update - I bottled the stout anyway. Opened one a few days ago and it tastes great! :D

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service