Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Allrighty, I have mixed opinions about this beer, some have tried it and told me it was shit, others have told me its good, and others ok, so ive decided to put it in the CS to try and get some honest feedback, and please do be honest!!

This beer was a bit of an experiment, to get an idea for Carabohemian, which I found out is veeeery dry, veeeeery malty, but still very tasty (when used well)! Even if you dont like the beer it can give you an idea of the malt for future use, which I have started to really like personally!

Rye Dubbel Saison

1.95kg Global Pils
1.95kg Rye
1.95kg Wey Vienna
780g Kolsch
468g CaraBohemian
234g CaraAroma
78g Carafa Special III
780g Brown Sugar - Added last 10 mins

Sauvin for bittering with a touch of motueka at 15mins

Wyeast 3711

OG - 1069

FG - 1004

IBU - 35

Disclaimer - My Case swap achilles heel is carbonation, I cant seem to get it right, so I do apologise if your beer has little to no carb, I tried... lol

Views: 112

Replies to This Discussion

Curiouser and curiouser... sounds delish!
Sounds good Tyler, I'de love to try some, some time. My initial feeling, based on your recipe, is that it is going to be veeeerry dry. Based on your high starting grav and low finishing. I am not familiar with 3711, but I would think that most yeast strains would finish out quite dry at that rate?
I need to add a disclaimer that I'm a complete effing retard ... I read the bottle not the post ... "Holes of hell", 65IBU's ... pfft!

So taking into account that I was in the land of the 50 point IQ, I shall adjust my comments on the bitterness (Lucky that I'm actually writting this up whilst drinking the beer itself!)

Apperance
Rich dark brown with a thick tan head (Note to self, don't pour in from too high ... damp counter top and foot!)

Aroma
Very malty nose a hint of other flavours but hard to tell what. (This, I think is my sinus issues again)

Taste
Malty, chocolate and a little coffee. Well balanced but definitely towards the malty side. (I noted at this point that I couldn't taste 65 IBU's ... what a right wazzak!)

Mouthfeel
Smooth and full with a neglagable hint of alcohol heat but it's just there (and I mean just).

It's a real shame that the sinus' aren't working right as I think this is a great smelling pint judging from the taste. I does taste great though and worth a second.
"Smooth and full with a neglagable hint of alcohol heat but it's just there (and I mean just)."

Cheers for the feedback Simon, the alcohol has definately smoothed out in the keg, it was a little warm when I first started drinking it... But im glad you enjoyed it somewhat :o)
Dutch liquorish, burnt caramel flavours coming through. Pretty dry. It's a very unique beer, like nothing I've ever tried. In the mouth it's almost like poprocks (remember poprocks?). Definitely quite tart... At the end of the day, unique, and delicious! Defo want another bottle!
Pours a deep mahogony colour, very clear. Nice tan head that disappears pretty quickly. I think the carbonation was good.

Spicy aroma with chocolate and a little roasty note in the background. Flavour definitely has that spicy thing going on that I assume is the Rye, with a little liquorice there too. Full body with a nice balance of sweetness and bitterness. It reminded a couple of us of bourbon, which again I assume is the rye influence.

Interesting one to try - couldn't decide whether I really liked it or not but it kept me going back to the glass. Another bottle could help me make up my mind. =)
Allright, im calling you guys out - Stu M, Jo, JamesP, Haish and Brew_sci

If my beers sh*t please tell me :P lol
"Not sure it works for me though."

Yeh theres something about this that clashes, maybe it is the combo of rye and sauvin.. I havnt picked liquorice myself but note that everyone else has, ill have to have another drink!
Poured this on the back of a blonde ale so definitely blew my palate to bits! Pours dark mahogony with heavy rye and alcohol on the nose - reminiscent of a mellow whiskey - coming from a non-whiskey drinker. More of this on the palate, with definite burnt caramel and dark chocolate - though the alcohol is better hidden than in the nose. A fair bitterness that further backs up the dark chocolate. Overall another interesting and mind expanding case swap beer that I would go back to - albeit in small and infrequent portions. Cheers for sharing!
"albeit in small and infrequent portions"

Haha, yeh I feel the same about it, which probably explains why the keg is about 8 months old now haha

Cheers for the feedback mate, glad the carbonation was good - maybe my new technique is working :o)
P.S. Carbonation was good!
Had this the other night and it was a nice beer. There was a nice cherry flavour that come through with the liquorish. Towards the end of the quart I think it might have got alittle bit cloying but other than that it was quite an interesting beer. I can't believe that it finished at 1.004. Definately the best beer I've had with 3711 so far.

Good work bro.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service