Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Just wanting to know how long is everyone waiting for the S-05 to clean up the beer? Every beer I ferment with S05 leaves me with a cloudy beer out of fermenter (Even sitting for 3 weeks). I have split Fermented a control using S-04 to see if this has been bad practice. After 7 days the S-04 is crystal clear and the S-05 is just like other S05 brew I have brewed. I have one at the moment that looks like a good Wit and believe it or not tastes like one also? Heres the recipe to prove it aint.

5.00 kg Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (3.9 EBC)
100g Cara-Pils/Dextrine (3.9 EBC)
10gm Nelson Sauvin [11.40 %] (15 min)
60gm Cascade US Plugs [6.80 %] (15 min)
30gm Cascade US Pellets [6.30 %] (10 min)
5 gm Challenger [7.50 %] (0 min)
30gm Cascade US Pellets [6.30 %] (0 min)
10gm Nelson Sauvin [11.40 %] (0 min)

1 Pkgs S-05

Views: 543

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Just thought I'd revive this old thread. I kegged a murky stout at on the weekend that was fermented with US-05 purchased from my LHBS. Expiry is sometime in 2011 and it's one on the murkiest beers I've ever brewed. I ended up fining it with gelatine due to it being so bad and it seems to be clearing up now.

Anyone else have murky US-05 beers at the moment?
Yea thinking about it - last pale isn't crystal clear, though I did keg / bottle a point or three higher than where it would normally would have finished

But the one in the fermenter was looking good last night when I took a hydro sample

The other beers have been dark, haven't noticed
Come to think of it I have had a couple of murky beers lately with packeted S05 - but have been thinking it was using old pellet hops for dry hopping.

Then my latest is clear as glass but with fresh dry hops and different batch of S05 from a 500g block.

My latest revelation is Koppafloc where has it been alll my life!
Yep latest 2 brews with S-05 been cloudy but taste not affected overly.
Thought it was the eathquakes shaking stuff up on bottling day that was doing it!
I have only ever had horrible results with this yeast. Big acetate esters. I often pick this up in beers fermented with 05.

I think its very suseptible to high fermentation temps.

Nottingham/Gervin is much better run it 20c or below and its clean run 20 - 26c and it sproduces nice English esters.
I've had good results with US-05 many times, always when I ferment around 18C. Every now and then we seem to get a batch that struggles to clear though.

Nottingham/Gervin is much better run it 20c or below and its clean run 20 - 26c and it sproduces nice English esters.
I've never brewed with this yeast but tasted it in the last case swap and liked it. I'll be adding it to my next craftbrewer order.
OK, I've used Nottingham / Gervin a couple of time and it has it's good points.

It clears really well - and it's no slug as far as fermentation goes.

But the problem was that it just ate up all my hop character. Lost all the bitterness and hop flavour I was expecting.
Like using SO4, I expect that you have to brew to the yeast - or at least expect different results yea ?
I pretty much ferment all of my beers with US-05, last few batches took a week or two in the bottle at room temp to clear up. I find it highly reliable, I haven't had many ferment problems in the 25 times I've used it.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service