Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

I'm off to the big smoke of Auckland for a few days next week. Does anyone have any recommendations  of breweries/brew pubs to visit?

Views: 487

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Must see brewpubs: Galbraiths & Hallertau

Bars worth visiting: any of the Cock & Bulls, Brew On Quay, O'Carroll's

Avoid: The Shakespeare
Are you going to Metallica Chris ?
Thanks Martin, was looking at Hallertau.Galbraiths is pretty central?
What's wrong with the Shakespear?
Haha sure am Chris... are you? It's about time to release my inner bogun spirit.
Yeah, Galbraiths is pretty central. 20 mins walk from the city centre or grab a bus. Hallertau is a bit more of a mission!

What's wrong with the Shakespeare? The beer's crap, the staff don't have a clue, the atmosphere's scary. Other than that, all good!
Yep sure am! wouldnt miss it for the the world I would say there will be a few inner bogan spirits floating around auckland next week!

Sounds like it might be worth giving The Shakespeare a wide berth.

I've been to Hallertau once before highly recommended! I also plan to check out Galbraiths this time seen plenty of good reviews about them.
Yip im one of those~!~
I'd still visit the Shakespeare. I've tried to deal with the brewer there... but he's a bit unfriendly to say the least. Their lagers are pretty good (last time I was there) which is pretty cool considering most breweries of this scale are only doing ales.

If anything a visit to the Shakespeare will give you some scope to appreciate how good Hallertau and Galbraiths really are.

I remember Jamil Zainasheff saying that most brewpubs in the small towns of the USA could be compared to the Shakespare: once loved, and the beers inconsistent. Then he said that the beer at Hallerau could be compared to only the very best of the brewpubs over there. He said you'd be hard pressed to find a pub whos beers were all so consistently good and brewed to such a high standard.
Well last I heard is that the Shakepeare brewer is no longer there and I,m not aware of them hiring a new one. This only happened 2-3 weeks ago so I,m not sure what the story is now, but I tend to agree with Martins comments.
Well I went to Hallertau,Galbraiths,Cock&Bull,Brew On The Quay,And The Shakespeare.
All were good but the first 3 were awesome!
Then we found Liqourland Newmarket which had a very very good range of nz craftbeer hidden in the corner of the chiller !
They had big bottles of Crown - Ambasador in a flash cardboard box ~$65 anyone tried that before?
Bull Shit? Should of bought the overrated shit!!
So Im guessing I did well steering clear of that one then?

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service