Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Gidday Y'all.

So... I missed the boat (again) to get any yeast. So, I'm going to put in an order with www.craftbrewer.com.au

What I thought though, is that for the WBC I'll propagate some quantities of a few different strains and package them off in the Baby Bottles for further growth (i.e. for anyone who is interested to make a starter with) I've sent a few strains out to customers like this already - so it's been a successful method in the past.

Anyhow, to break down what the process wil be I'll explain.

1st of all, once I have found out who wants what I'll make an order. Then when my smackpacks arrive, I'll make the necessary size propagation ferment for each strain. Thrn, I'll wash the alcohol out of the yeast and split it up to the necessary recipients. This way everyone gets the same generation of yeast.

So, here are the strains for you's to choose from:

Wyeast 1762 Belgian Abbey II
Wyeast 3787 - Trappist High Gravity
Wyeast 1214 - Belgian Ale

There are a few more - but we are focussing on Dubbels - and the above strains are used to make 4 of the best Dubbels in the world.

Just express your interest on this discussion, and I'll count you in.

As far as money goes, I'll obviously cover the charge of the baby bottle ($5) and then split the cost of each starter pack amongst each recipient. Last time I got anything over from Craft Brewer it was $18 landed. So obviously I'll need at least 3 expressions of interest for each strain to make it worth while. If there isn't enough interest in one of the strains, I'll have to cut it down to 2.

Cheers.

Views: 131

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

i'll be keen, i've been thinking of brewing something different, i don't really mind which one.

have you considered slanting and selling through liberty?
I don't really have to time to do that - but this sort of thing is easy enough. I'd rather not do this for profit though, as the yeast labs have gone through a lot of trouble to make pitchable amounts. This way makes it easier for the WBC folks to get into using liquid yeast in a cost effective manner.

I'll count you in Martin.

Which reminds me - I'd better put a cut off date on this.

I'll make it the 5th of September.
Dunedin Malt House stocks a full range of Wyeast. They just got a fresh batch in recently. The fresh ones retail for $18.00 each there, and the dude who runs it (Trevor) discounts them down to $10 or so if they're older than 6 months from manufacture. However I've used a few of the oldies and they still plow through the brew! They might not have all the wyeast listed on their website but if you give them a call I'm sure they can help you out.
Hope you don't get too much hot weather, my order from cb placed on the 13th still hasn't arrived, pleased there's no yeast in it !
Yeah my order took over two weeks to get through MAF.... wankers.
Maybe they've read this article;

"Long used as a flavoring in the beer-brewing process, hops are now becoming well known among druggies. The plant (Humulus lupulus) contains lupuline, a yellow resinous powder that is the closest chemical relative to THC, the psychoactive ingredient in marijuana.

Not only is the hop plant a legal relative of cannabis, but it will get users reasonably stoned. If smoked in the form of a joint, the sweet-sour, flaky fruiting parts of the plant will produce a mild, grass like high accompanied by a feeling of peace and serenity.

If you'd like to try hops for their sedative qualities, bring but the old teapot. Simply steep an ounce of dried hops flakes in a pint of water, let the brew stand for about two hours, strain out the excess flakes, and drink a tablespoonful be fore each meal and before hitting the bay at night. Just like counting sheep ... zzz-zzzl

Hops should not be abused, especially if you're the sensitive type. Too much taken over too long a period of time might begin to produce some side effects such as dizziness, an intoxicated feeling and symptoms of jaundice.

Those with a green thumb, might be interested in the fact that the hop vine can be successfully grafted to marijuana root stock. What the grower ends up with is a hop vine loaded with marijuana's active resins. The crushed, dried leaves work as potently as grass when smoked. However, the plant looks just like a legal hop vine, keeping the curious from knowing what is being raised in the grower's garden of delights.

Hop cuttings are now difficult to obtain, since the government has asked growers not to sell them to the general public But there's no law against trying, and the effort might well be worth the home cultivator's legal while."

Or this;

http://www.onr.com/user/liberty/Marijuana/MBeer/MBeer.html

Anyone for a hop pot IIPA ?
"Those with a green thumb, might be interested in the fact that the hop vine can be successfully grafted to marijuana root stock. What the grower ends up with is a hop vine loaded with marijuana's active resins. "

This is not actually a true fact and does not work unfortunately...
If the order goes in on the 5th, when would you expect to receive the yeast?
I had planned on doing my brew this weekend and thought I had the right strain in my fridge. Must not have been thinking clearly because Munich does not equal Belgian!

If I can not locate any proper yeast today, I would like to have part of the yeast order. Since I have no experience with this type of beer, I have no opinion on which strain is purchased. But I know you would never steer me wrong!
It's not received too much interest, so I'll probably give it a miss to be honest.

I have a 1st gen slurry of 1762 at home which I'll re-start and send to you and Martin.

Does tht sound allright to you two?
That would be really cool! Thanks!
I was hoping to brew the Belgian this weekend but I guess I will do my APA instead.
yeah thats sweet by me, i'd better start looking at some recipe's!
Barbara, Dunedin Malt House could probably get some to you overnight

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service