Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

I have a big ass pot being delivered today and I am going to do a triple batch of NZ Pils with cascade and Nelson Sav.  It will ferment in 3 carboys in my temp controlled chest freezer.  I thought I may as well make this a learning experience and pitch 3 different yeasts and see what the difference is.  They will have to be fermented at the same temp - im thinking 14 degrees.

The question is which 3 yeasts should I use.  In the past I have used 1056 and US05 for this sort of job but a little googling suggested that the Kolch yeast and the German Ale yeast might also go well.  What yeast would you include in the comparison and why.  Are 1056 and US05 too similar to bother comparing?

Options:

US05

WY1056 (American Ale)

WY1007 (German Ale)

WY2565 (Kolsch)

WY1272 (American ale II)

Views: 265

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think that they are too similar to bother comparing with. If it were me doing this trial I would use 1056, 1007 and 2565. I wouldn't use 1272 as this yeast is (compared to the others) very much an ale yeast. Also - those three can handle colder ferments quite easily. I'd still make a bigger than normal starter for the psudo lagers though.

Good luck - keep us informed with your progress.
Do you think I should go right up to larger pitching rates or half way between the ale and larger rates?
Well - Lagers are a pain in the arse to make starters for... so anything to avoid that is good.

For a 1.050 ale, I'd go for a 1L starter. For a 1.050 Lager I'd do a 4 - 5L starter. For a psudo lager, I reckon 2L cuts the mustard... thats how much I do (for 20 Liters of beer).
I'd try 1056, s23 and US05

Gives you a chance to check 1056 v US05... and see if you can pick differences between them and the lager one.

s23 is not on your list but it is a failsafe addition to the equation.... I recently tried a kit homebrew that had been fermented with some s23 I had given to a friend (it had been sitting in a fridge at mine, unused for 6 months). It was an excellent lager and certainly had me thinking I'll use try that yeast out at some stage in the future.
I would recommend S23 as well... I use it for my pilseners all the time and it would have to be a very good arguement to get me to change....
If it were a football coach I'd push it to take over the reins at Liverpool...
You think that some dried yeast could have done better than Rafa....? A harsh assessment, but ultimately true I think....
I honestly would have not thought about that yeast. I had gone off it a long time ago... I had read so many people on this very forum having the same negative experiences as me. That turned me right the way off it.

Sorry to jack your thread JR, but I wish more people who either lurk or occasionally post on here would talk more about positive experiences and things that tried and tested in their home breweries: just like Fairlane has done here... and furthermore not be judged by it.

I think things have really quietened down on here - and I know first hand that people are still brewing like mad out there. It seems like users here are getting too timid to contribute or post anything in fear of fierce retribution from the "know it alls" on here.

I'll put my hand up and say that I have been negative in the past - but for a while now I have tried really hard to maintain being constructive rather than destructive. I hope more out there will do the same and help this forum become more active again.

Random rant over.
Here here!! good post!!
yeh good call Jo...

and withot giving anything away (as I don't know if he wants to stay undercover) i can tell you that fairlane is a multiple award winning "shithot" brewer. So the S23 thing is not just one of my usual leftfield random comments (I'm glad someone backed me up!).

http://www.forum.realbeer.co.nz/forum/topics/1500433:Topic:2041?com...
Um... well I had this whole other reply ready but now all I can do is bask in the warm sunny glow of my own greatness.... just kidding... :)

Anyway here it is... oh and good post by the way Joking

There's a big difference between straight out negativity and a different point of view.

I personally don't mind it when people say things like "I used that yeast and I got a lot of sulphides etc and so might look at something else..." or "it didn't give me the characteristics that I was hoping for for that style..."

When they say "that yeast is crap and you should be using this..." it tends to piss me off a lot however as it's a statement that's all emotion and no fact. What was crap about it? How did you rehydrate it? What did you feed it for growth? What temp did you do this at? What was the YAN of the wort before pitching? What temperature control did you have for ferment?

Although there is generally a very good standard of threads on this forum, I for one enjoy it a hell of a lot more when they are more fact based discussions than opinion based ones....

dh
I'd read a lot of bad press here about S-23 so bought 34/70 ... should I have tried it for myself and made my own judgement ... yes I guess so

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service