Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

I named this one big brother as I also made a smaller beer by diluting 10 litres of the wort with 10 litres of water. Bottled from keg but low carbonation, so it'll probably be totally flat if you chill it too much. Its quite hoppy but I reckon it could've still used some dry hopping. It's a bitter wee number so look out! 

(double size batch)
6kg Maris Otter
5.5kg ADM/Malturope pils malt
0.5kg light crystal
0.5kg Carapils
0.5kg Sugar

100g Nelson Sauvin 60m
50g Rakau 60m
75g Nelson Sauvin 30m
75g Pacifica 30m
75g Nelson Sauvin 15m
75g Riwaka 15m
50g Nelson Sauvin 0m
50g NZ Cascade 0m

Mashed @ 67c
Yeast US05
OG 1070 - FG 1008
8% Alc

Views: 132

Replies to This Discussion

You weren't kidding about it being bitter, Dale! Last of today's case swap session, bit confusing drinking two Dale beers in a row...

Pours a hazy dark gold, with a tight white head that disappears pretty quickly. Reminded me a bit of Sierra Nevada Torpedo in aroma - that kind of heavy caramel/toffee thing with hops that you just know are going to be savage. The taste pretty much just followed through with what the aroma promised - surprisingly balanced for how bitter it was, with a nice hop aroma going on too.

Another good-un from the case swap - cheers Dale.
Perhaps not the best beer to sample while doing some late evening work, but it was the next in line in the fridge.

Pours a deep amber, heading towards tan. Decanted into a jug then poured fairly vigorously into a glass. Small head.

Aroma is definitely hoppy, although I could have mistaken it for US hops had I not known it was Kiwi hops.

Wowser! Where's my tooth enamel gone?! Real punch-in-the-face bitterness. Really highlights that most of the bitterness sensors are down the sides of the tongue, coz that's where it lingers.

I get a fruity, almost sherbety sweetness initially, then the cavalcade of bitterness crashes in and obliterates it. Balanced this is not, but I suspect that wasn't the intention.

Finishes dry as a mutha too, which possibly contributes to the lasting perception of bitterness.

It's a really interesting flavour profile. Personally I'd prefer a little more balance, but then I've been accused of being a wuss in the past.

Certainly memorable! Good work Dale.
Maybe it's just the alcohol that's making me feel happy, but I'm feeling much better about this beer at the end of the glass. I still think the bitterness is a little on the aggressive side, but the fruity hoppiness is becoming more evident.

And before you ask it wasn't chilled to death. My kegerator is set to English cellar temperatures (10-12 degrees).

I'm certainly glad that you contributed this Dale.
Thanks Martin. I myself found this beer is quite changable and can certainly change in the glass. Thanks for the feedback.
1st one of the bat, Cloudy Orange, Tight tall proud head that I think is from the higher side of the carbonation, nice bit of caramel in there and a good wach of tropical citrus hops. Its bitter and I think that ecentuated by the dryness of the beer and which it comes across a little astrigent,

Nice flavours!!
First for a Saturday night at home with the kids while the wife is out, and given I spent the day literally swimming in hops I thought I would try the NZIIPA.

Pours an orange, slight red colour with tight head which drops away quickly. Upfront aroma of fruit and sweet caramel. The bitterness is quite awesome, and like eating the chilli... then getting the "wholly f**k that's hot". Very dry finish and chalky. It's definitely an IIPA in my books!

That's makes an awesome start to the night, cheers Dale!
J.
Pours a hazy amber with a small head, intense tropical fruit on top of toffee and caramel with hints of strawberrys and candy. More balanced up front than the aroma indicates with a chewy fruited candy note before the savage lingering bitter finish! Awesome beer mate!
I've been in a hoppy mood lately so found myself reaching for a Big Brother.

Poured cold & hard straight from the bottle. Hazy amber with a white head that hang around while I assessed it. Aroma of hops & bread with a little perfume. Sauvin was the only obvious hop that came through in the aroma for me. Soft in the mouth and warm in the stomach. Bitterness was strong and made itself known all around the mouth & teeth. Caramel sweetness contrasts the bitterness & makes it drinkable. A long bitter finish that again is all around the mouth. The bitterness dominates the drinking experience for me. Occasional black pepper in the finish with bitter oranges.

IIPA is not a style that I'm very familiar with. For me this beer too big in the bitterness/sweetness department. Although it seemed balanced, I thought the amount of sweetness required to balance that much bitterness made the beer a little cloying. This beer confused my palate as although I found it a little cloying it was still obviously bitter??? Probably just a lack of experience of IIPAs on my palate.

Took me 1.5 hours to drink the 750ml!!!

Cheers Dale, a lesson in bitterness for Mr Cherry.
How many IBUs on that Dale?
I'm not sure of the IBUs but I think its well over 100
Drinking this one this afternoon. Big tropical fruit salad nose with a bit of hot alcohol but in a pleasant way that lets you know what you're going to drink is BIG. Sweet malt which is almost perfectly balanced by the bitterness. My opinion of the malt/bitterness balance has changed as I've enjoyed the 750ml (decanted into a jug and drank one imperial half pint at a time) and I think the longer it settles the more balanced it becomes, not that I minded the huge slice of bitterness on first sip.

Reminds me of something i tried in the State last year but i can't think quite what. Really enjoyable beer thanks Dale, one to be sipped slowly over a couple of hours. Cheers

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service