Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94610

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Or idiosyncratic brewing software :)
Adjusted my preboil volume for this one cause I've been getting a bit more boil off lately - as Murphy's law goes this was the batch that didn't boil off as much.

Took the left over 2000mL and pitched a bit of Brett C into it - will be interesting to see how it turns out.
Must be the calm before the southerly rolls back in, quite still and dry here in Welly for now
Got 700 - late hopped pale underway. 30 minutes into the mash and the sparge water heating
80.5% malturop
10% Munich
6% Caramalt
3% Pale Crystal
0.5% Pale Chocolate
1.050 and 36 IBU or 140gm of Cascade, Motueka and Hallertau from 20 minutes
Bugger, my efficency is shit on anything other than my standard 1.040 beer.
I usually get 80% in the 1.040 maltbill I do month in, month out. Got 70% in the latehopped brown, thought it couldn't be that bad again and whopped in at 70% with this one again.
Still, the late hopped pale has the same characteristics as a the late hopped brown - a bitter but not a biter - so I have high hopes
Well ive got this dialed in for Monday - About 6 months ago I weighed the hops up for a Green Flash IPA clone, but never got round to brewing it, I found the hops in my freezer the other day but decided to change and malt up the grain bill a bit cos thats what im digging at the mo :o)

Amber IPA

3kg Global Pils
2.1kg Kolsch
360g Global Munich - was actually thinking the other day, I cant imagine using the weyermann stuff anymore!!
360g Carapils
180g CaraRed
60g Chocolate - Added late

90 - 20g Columbus 14.2%
60 - 7g Simcoe 12.2%, 7g Columbus 14.2%
30 -7g Simcoe, 7g Columbus
15 20g Simcoe, 20g Columbus
10 - 20g Cascade 5.8%
1 - 14g Simcoe, 14g Columbus
Dry - 14g each of Simcoe, Columbus, Centennial, Amarillo and Cascade

US-05

Aiming for an OG of about 1066 and 120 odd IBU :o) Should be yum as!
Why add the choc late? Is for colour without flavour or something?
Yeah pretty much just after a bit of colour, I know I wont get much if any flavour if I add it for the whole 90 min mash time, im just playing it safe to avoid any added astringency, not that id be able to pick it up through all the hopping ;o)
That's an interesting grain bill. You've got me rethinking the grain for my NZIPA now.
Yeah originally was just gonna go all pale or pils but wanted to add an extra malt element without going too malty with melanoiden etc, so I thought 35% kolsch with a bit of Munich should do the trick :o)

And of course CaraPils and CaraRed combo is the best for an IPA IMO, every time ive used that combo the beers turned out awesome! I reckon that the CaraRed is a decent replacement for the famed American Crystal 40L
Yeah, I like carared too.

I only have approx 2kg of Global Koelsch left so I need to make the rest of my IPA base malt with either Pils, Maris Otter or a little of both. Can't decide.
I reckon use 2kg of Kolsch and 3ish kg of Maris otter, with some cara red and other crystal in there itll be awesome!! I reckon the nuttyness of maris and kolsch will compliment each other quite nicely...
360g Global Munich - was actually thinking the other day, I cant imagine using the weyermann stuff anymore!!

Was thinking the exact opposite the other day :-P

I've still got a kilo or two from when we originally split that sack haha.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service