Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

This beer is a bigger, pilsner'fied variation of a NZPA that I brewed earlier in the year that I really liked.  I'm not usually one to brew Pilsners but thought I'd give it a go with Wyeast 2112 while the temps are good.  It's still very young but I'm pretty happy with it.

I have a small confession to make about this beer but I'll save it until some feedback has come in.

I hope you enjoy it.  All honest feedback welcome.

Cheers

PILSNZER

Style: New Zealand Pilsner
OG: 1.056
FG: 1.013
IBU: 36
ABV (%): 5.7
Batch Size (L): 22

Fermentables:
5.0kg Bohemian Pilsner
300g Wheat Malt
300g Cara-Pils

Hops:
20g Nelson Sauvin @ 60min [23.0 IBU]
10g Styrian @ 15min [3.1 IBU]
10g Motueka @ 15min [3.8 IBU]
20g Styrian @ 5min [2.5 IBU]
20g Motueka @ 5min [3.0 IBU]
25g Styrian @ 0min [0 IBU]
25g Motueka @ 0min[0 IBU]
25g Styrian Dry 5 days [0 IBU]
25g Motueka Dry 5 days [0 IBU]

Yeast:
Wyeast 2112

Views: 111

Replies to This Discussion

2nd Beer tonight, Pours with a fluffy head hazy straw colour, bready malt and some nice yeast esters believe it or not if 2112 is the fermenter??. However I cant see how you brewed an astrigent beer Mr Cherry!! Slap on the wrist for that one did you take your normally fastidious eye off the ball!! Never had it in the last how many beers!! hahahaha
Astringent? I don't get any astringency at all from that beer. Weird.
Still got it in my glass, its seems to be ecentuated by the dryness of the beer.
"I only get the mouthfeel and for me carapils always seems to be too much or absent."

Interesting, this is pretty much the same for me but only realised it after reading this!
Pours a bright straw colour with a tightly packed white head, aroma of tropical fruits with a slight sulpher note but an awesome mineral profile, must be the awesome hutt valley water huh? Carbonation was spot on for the style albeit a bit fizzy for my liking, more fruit up front on the palate with a slightly thin bitter finish. If I was going to complain id say there isnt enough malt character for the amount of hop as it sort of zings leaving no malt flavour's in the finish, but thats just me being picky ;o)

Cheers buddy!
Thyanks rev. I agree with your comments about how it could benefit from more malt, 500g Munich would do the trick!. It's still the beer that I I set out to brew though with a hop focus to highlight and test out that hop combo & schedule. Cheers.
id say there isnt enough malt character for the amount of hop as it sort of zings leaving no malt flavour's in the finish, but thats just me being picky ;o)

Haha its that yeast I tell you!! its the S04 of the lager liquid versions,.
Nice... even the wife had other descriptors than "it tastes like beer" so I hate you, as that is what she usually says about mine. I told her it was a flaw.... :)

I got raisins and a little butterscotch, both very acceptable, but not as much of the malt base I was expecting. Pour is very lively, so much so it required a head suck as not to loose any over the side . It is hazy cold, but clears up to damn near crystal when it warms. Head is large to start, but is more subdued at greater temps. A little lacing and nice looking rim all the way down the glass. Good light to medium mouth feel, and the good crisp / dryness I look for in my pilseners. A little peppery residue.

Cheers for sharing Mr C, that beer rocks in my books.
J.
Thanks James. I seem to be getting some quite varies opinions on this beer. The common theme seems to be that it could do with a little more maltiness and I would have to agree. I wanted to see what pils, carapils & wheat malt would be like and now I know.

even the wife had other descriptors than "it tastes like beer"
Does that mean I brewed a Chick Beer?

Cheers
I think as most of my pils are quite malty, she found this one more "refreshing and zingy" as she put it.... as I said to her it's a flaw just to make myself feel better, no reference to the quality beer.
First swapper for me of the latest batch and pulled this one out at random to drink whilst i watched the league.

First up - nice label - important in a CS beer to set the scene.
Notes scribbled on the weekend Press property section as i watched the Warriors.

Carbonation spot on IMO, lovely fine white head that persists down the glass. Good use of cara-pils for the head retention. Nice pale golden colour. Bread and tropical fruit salad aroma. Hint of astingency for the first couple of sips but now its warmed in the glass (it started at approx 6-8c) i don't notice it any more. Nice malt and hop balance and i really liked the dryness in the mouthfeel.

Very nice beer all up Mr C and I'd happily have another.
Cheers
Thanks Ally.

I'm finding this whole astringency aspect to be very interesting. I don't get any astringency from this beer at all but I think I know what people are referring to when they describe it as astringent. I think it's the bitterness and dryness combining to give an astringent impression. I suspect others will disagree with this but that's what I think.

I've brewed truely astringent beers in the past and have a good understanding of astringency. I'm always very consious of runoff gravities, mash & sparge temperatutes and pHs and nothing was different in that respect for this beer. I am therefore left thinking that the hops, bitterness, body and dryness are combining to appear astringent to some. It's been interesting.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service