Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Hello every one.

I hope this is in the rite section and hopefully some of you can help me.  I am in the process of converting an Old 1950's petrol bowser than will eventual dispense beer from a small 25 ltr keg.  It is a bit of a novelty item and I cant see it getting a huge amount of use but I am going forward with the project. 

Unfortunately I don't have much knowledge about Kegs, regulators, Co2 etc etc.  Does any one have any info on where i can get these items or even information on the required equipment?  I dont like the idea of hiring a Co2 bottle like how Boc gas deals operate but rather get my own and fill it up when it is empty.

Any idea on what sized bottle I would need to get for a 25ltr keg? Do they come even smaller? Do all kegs have the same type of valve? What kind, what size and where should I get my lines from?

There are a lot of questions but I realy need to know the basics first.

Thank you for your time.

Steve

Views: 916

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hey Steve, welcome.

Take a look over the kegging discussion as it has a lot of information and supplier information. http://www.forum.realbeer.co.nz/forum/topics/kegging-1?commentId=15...

Most of us on here use 19L corney kegs, with appropriate regulators and and hosing. You can get the gear all in one from a brewcraft home brew store, or buy from the various suppliers in that thread.

Cheers
James
Thanks James.

Ill have a good read through it

steve
Ok, Ive had a read through it but a lot of it goes over my head. Im not looking at kegging my own brew but am going to use normal retail keg beer. Those websites like brewcraft (from what I can understand) are aimed at brewers.

Are the Australian kegs, CO2 bottles and regulator fittings the same as over here? I read that the US at least differ to what we have over here?

I also spoke to a family friend that works at Lion Nathon and he suggested that compressed air will work well enough if the beer is going to be finished by the end of the night. Any one have any other info on this?

Also, if this isnt the rite place to be asking these types of questions could you please point me in the rite direction? I am new to all of this

thank you.
Are the Australian kegs, CO2 bottles and regulator fittings the same as over here? I read that the US at least differ to what we have over here?

There are a few different keg fittings (search google/wikpedia for 'sanke fittings') - to be honest I've never dealt with them so I don't know too much about them. It'd be worth talking to your mate at LN to see what fittings they're using, check with other breweries as well so there's no surprises when you bring your keg home and try to hook it up.

CO2 bottles and regulators should be the same.

As you said a lot of gas companies will only fill their own rental bottles so it's worth talking to your local supplier before buying a bottle. A couple guys here have found people who will fill converted fire extinguishers. I'll let them chime in on how they found them.

Any idea on what sized bottle I would need to get for a 25ltr keg? Do they come even smaller? Do all kegs have the same type of valve? What kind, what size and where should I get my lines from?

You may be able to get away with a soda stream bottle - but I'm not sure if they make the adapter to fit a sanke fitting, otherrwise the converted fire extinguisher would be the go. It's best to run a long length of beer line (2 - 3m) that's about 5mm ID. This helps reduce foaming when you pour. You can use any hosing that's rated for gas and will handle up to 30psi. I'm just using the clear, food grade, PVC hose from Bunnings and I've had no problems yet.

I also spoke to a family friend that works at Lion Nathon and he suggested that compressed air will work well enough if the beer is going to be finished by the end of the night. Any one have any other info on this?

That's true. Oxygen is bad for beer, hence CO2 being used to push most beer, but if you'll polish off a keg in one go then it doesn't matter too much. But the beer will be terrible within the next day or so when being pushed with air.

Also, if this isnt the rite place to be asking these types of questions could you please point me in the rite direction? I am new to all of this

There's probably not too many folk here dealing with commercial kegs but everything except the fittings still applies - so you're pretty much in the right place mate.

Welcome to the forum, would be great to see pictures of your setup once it's completed!
Thanks for all the info so far. Its helped quite a bit, this project is a bit of a long term one that I plan to have finished by summer.

Ive now got an old 25Ltr keg, co2 regulator and keg coupler so I can start to dummy things up. At this stage im planing to use a 20 ounce co2 paint ball canister but am unsure if it will have enough gas. Time will tell and I can always carry a spare!

Does any one know how much stainless steel line I should run in the cooler box? I suppose it should be enough to chill a couple of glasses? I was quoted about $250 (unsure how long it was...) but that sounds like quite a bit to me. Could be wrong tho. Also is $85 to much for a real simple tap?

Theres a long way to go yet!
Attachments:

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service