Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Thought it might be handy to have a thread for some of the more advanced brewers to give some advice on recipes.

Let's see how it goes eh...

Views: 70876

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

So thick, thin, mash out or not ?
What temp are you mashing at?
I'd go for a thick mash and a mash with mash temp of 67-68C for a nice malty, full bodied porter.
any of you guys know much about brewing salts?
i'm planning on brewing a stout tomorrow and using the following additions-

Starting Water (ppm):
Ca: 29
Mg: 4
Na: 2
Cl: 1
SO4: 8
HCO3: 82

Mash / Sparge Vol (gal): 6 / 9
Dilution Rate: 0%

Adjustments (grams) Mash / Boil Kettle:
CaCO3: 5 / 7.5
CaSO4: 0 / 0
CaCl2: 1.5 / 2.25
MgSO4: 2.5 / 3.75
NaHCO3: 7 / 0
NaCl: 0 / 0
HCL Acid: 0 / 0
Lactic Acid: 0 / 0

Mash Water / Total water (ppm):
Ca: 135 / 135
Mg: 14 / 14
Na: 86 / 36
Cl: 33 / 33
SO4: 51 / 51
CaCO3: 359 / 249

RA (mash only): 254 (26 to 31 SRM)
Cl to SO4 (total water): 0.65 (Bitter)

hows this sound?

cheers
martin
First stout:

Which yeast should I use - is US05 OK or is it a little too clean? Aiming for a dry stout around 5% ABV, can anyone recommend a real basic recipe to get a feel for the style? Much appreciated!
US05 is great for a dry stout Patrick. You could try the classic 70/20/10 recipe which produces a good dry stout. 70% base, 20% flaked barley, 10% roast barley. About 40 IBU's up front. If your not planning on brewing immediately I'm happy to send you a bottle of my stout based on that recipe to see if it's what you like. At least you'll get an idea and you can go from there. PM me if keen
JackoNZ - Is that the recipe that won the WnBC?
yup
I will brew on Saturday morning, so don't worry about the sample - I will take your word for it. I am still at that lovely stage where the fact that I brewed it myself more than makes up for any shortcomings! but thanks for the guidelines - exactly the kind of thing I am looking for, means I can get a baseline and tweak it from there. Should I only do a bittering addition? 90min boil? What kind of hops? Cheers!
Personally for me a dry stout should be bittering only, I used Williamette @60 but any low cohumalone hop should work. By all means add more hops if that's your thing. I thought about this myself whilst drinking my stout over the weekend but decided if I added some late hops I would go for an American Stout recipe instead.
I agree with JackoNZ.

I'd go with a 60min boil and 60min bittering hop addition only.

If you're brewing to style, BJCP states that a Dry Stout should have "low to none" hop aroma and "medium to no" hop flavour. Check out the web site if you haven't already (www.bjcp.org).
HELP! I can't get flaked barley from my local HBS - is there an alternative? Or anywhere in Auckland that stocks it?
Sorry mate not sure about Auckland places, I got mine from nz bio grains I think. I see Jo is also selling it on liberty now too. He'd be your first place for a quick turn around I'd say.
Hi Patrick
Done here in the south I get mine from my local whole foods or organics shop.
Happy hunting.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service