Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Hi All
(Hopefully I didn't miss a thread here, I searched first!)
Just wanted to see if anyone has rhizomes available this year? I hear there is a shortage, however if there are any suppliers anyone knows of I would be keen to given them a go!

Maybe we can get a list of suppliers going? I see in the old forum that Stephen @ Hallertau may have been one of them, any ideas?

Cheers

Views: 17324

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yeap, the flower's will grow off the laterals.

It's best not to let anymore shoots take off so that the plant can focus on growing what's already there.

I use the worm wee a couple times a season. I think I over-fertilised with that stuff once though...oops.
I thought about cutting the new shoot but figured since it was the first season I'd just let it do its thing. It's probably best to focus on the root system this year rather than the cones. As sad as that is...
They recommend two to three shoots so it should be all good. I guess at the end of the day if the plant's got enough food and water it shouldn't matter how many shoots are growing.

I still had a good harvest of cones my first year so wait and see what happens, you might be surprised :-)
Mine took off and was going great guns, then it stopped completely, no growth for about six weeks. In the last week new growth has started and is now going well. I think the ground I planted them in was a bit hard as the rhizome started to lift out of the ground. I put some potting mix around it to raise the ground level and that's when it took off again.
Mine stalled for about 6 weeks too with the cooler weather through October and November but the last month or so has seen some crazy growth.
Sounds so so so familiar lol!
If your in a windy spot like me let the shoots come thick and fast the wind seems to cull them down to three or four shoots just fine by snapping big ones and burning small uns!
Drives a man to beer I tell ya!!
Same here. The wind is just killing mine!

Last year I got 14g of hops. I can buy 50g from Liberty for $3.80

Don't think I'll bother growing them next year...
Ahh must be Wellington eh? The beer scene might not be as flash in AK but at least our hops grow ;-)

Was the your first year grown MC? They tend to pick up after a season or two. Even if you decide to stop growing those hardy little buggers won't haha.
Last year was my first year starting from the little rhizome that you sent me. I got 14g in total. I think I'll struggle to get that much this year. I gave a rhizome to my father that seems to be going better than mine. Hopefully between us we'll get enough for a tasty blonde ale.
My Danscade plant that james sent me. 2 months old and main shoot is 15 ft long!

Wow starting to flower already!
Holy crap! Then again you have the climate for it on the East Coast!

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service