Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

What is biscuit flavour?

I thought I could imagine it but after making some beers that should be biscuity (with marris otter and some amber malt) I wasn't getting what I imagined. With a little thought I realised that Jamil etc.. are American and they don’t even call biscuits biscuits. They usually call them cookies. So what are they talking about when refering to biscuits. Wikkipedia tells me that what Americans call biscuits the English (and probibly us) call scones.

When I eat Amber malt I get a very well toasted (almost burnt but not quite) toast flavour, and that came through in the beer, not sure that I like it all that much however that beer is still quite young and it may change with another week or 2 maturing.

So when you say biscuity, what taste are you referring to?

Views: 43

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

A biscuit in the US is pretty much like a scone. There are different versions like butter biscuits which are smooth on the outside, and flaky inside; and some like 'bisquick' biscuits which are pretty much like scones. I am just getting hungry thinking about wonderful butter biscuits now. :)

When I asked this question on the board, I was told "...just toasty... like a piece of unbuttered brown toasted bread. Biscutty like those big round "Digestive" biscuts. Toasty. Buscitty." -- JoKing
As a 'born and bred' southerner (southern US, that is), I can say with some degree of expertise that, while related, there is a difference between 'US' biscuits and scones. Biscuits are not sweat like scones (even savoury scones here are 'sweat' compared to what I grew up with). They do taste a bit like brown toasted bread, though not that dry (almost with a wee cardboard aftertaste and floury, but not in a bad way... make sense?).

And by the way, the best way to eat them is smothered in 'white' gravy with lots of ground pepper.... Hoooooo Weeeee! It'll make ya wanna go home and slap yer Momma!
Long day... just realised that should be "sweet"... not "sweat"! ... Makes for funny reading, however.
ok...so you are talking about cornbread type? I never understood why yankees liked to eat those sweet.
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm cornbread + chilli.
Nope, not cornbread type, that would be a 'cornbread muffin'. Totally different. And only people from the coastal US like their cornbread sweet.

Oh yea, cornbread and chilli.... And a nice hoppy APA.
I learned about 30 years ago that if you had an overcarbonated bear that filled 80% of the serving jug with foam, the quickest way to dispel it was to drop an oatmeal biscuit on top of the foam. Foam gone in 2 seconds flat. Of course you then didn't waste the biscuit but ate it. Now that's what I call biscuity flavoured beer :-)

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service