Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Thought it might be handy to have a thread for some of the more advanced brewers to give some advice on recipes.

Let's see how it goes eh...

Views: 70895

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hey cheers dude, cant wait to get this underway. This is exactly what i was looking for, something not that complicated haha. Just a quick question bout the grains tho. Like that dude before said he uses 3 litres of water to 1kg of grain, should i scale that down if im using less grain. I mean does it matter? its still gonna extract the same no matter what amount, isn't it??
Well it's a ratio so shoot for 3L water per 1kg of grain - for 0.5kg of grain use 1.5L, for 2kg of grain use 6L.

So for the above recipe seeing as it calls for 0.34kg of grain then 0.34 x 3L = ~1L of water.

But pleeeeeeeeeeeeeease, before you brew it get someone to check out the recipe, like I said, has been a loooooooooooong time since I've brewed extract and grains haha.

All the best mate, brew Strong!
Sweet as cheers for clearing that up dude. I actually did wait a while to see if anybody would reply and see if your recipe was all good, but nobody has haha.
I'd adjust the recipe to full cans of LME and only add one for the full (60 min ?) boil and other for the the last five minutes.

Promash, beersmith or any of the online calculators should sort out the hops

I've always used 6:1 for steeping grains, from a wee way back from the yahoo forum from Brews
Not sure why the difference from the 3:1 mashing ratio, it looks sort of half way to palmers 3 gallons though

cheers, jt
Sweet as i'll try the late extract method. Helps the colour right?
Yea, it might do, but it means that your hop utilisation is better - never been too woried about colour myself.

but your boil gravity will be much lower than if you use all 3kg - so you'll need less hops to acheive the same result. So less hops at the end of the boil to filter out too
Cheers for the advice dude. I used that beersmith and that brought down the amount of hops to add quite a bit. Thats adding in the second can at 15 mins tho. IBU's would have been 50 or so not doing a late extract boil. Came down to 37 with one. Sound about right?
I'd shoot for 35-45 IBU for an APA so 37 is a good starting point.
Sweet as, i never new anything about hop utilization, but after reading how to brew and scanning the net i can see how it could change things quite a bit. That beersmith programs pretty choice too.
Beersmith is awesome, is my homebrew software of choice - would not have gone all grain without it.
Only thing is, it doesnt list some of the NZ hops and suff.
Had a nice Beef Rogan Josh each night for the last three nights and got to thinking about brewing an Indian Lager to wash it down with. Does anyone have a recipe for one, something like a Kingfisher Strong or better yet a Kalyani Black Label clone?

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service