Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Belgian Pale Ale

Baird's UK Pale
Weyermann Premium Pilsner (because i ran out of pale)
Weyermann Caramunich II
Weyermann Caraaroma
Weyermann Carafa II Special

Motueka @ 60min
0.5g/L Motueka 7.5%aa @ 15 and 0min.

1.043, 20ibu, WLP550 18c... rising to 22c.

Probably a bit undercarbonated (and certainly underconditioned) due to my unique way carbonating.
I've now got the second keg in the fridge.

It's my second crack at a similar Belgian pale ale. Formulating another recipe this week and it'll head back closer to where the first one was... stronger, paler, a touch hoppier and less toasty.

Views: 130

Replies to This Discussion

Great call on the cornflakes! Got one in front of me now and I get it. Could that be a hint of DMS without being DMSish?
I didn't think DMS - i thought mystery ingredient cornflakes.

If it was DMS (and it was pretty subtle) then for me it complimented the whole thing without being negative.
So aye, agree, DMS without being DMSish.
Spiced tropical fruit salad aroma. Love the deep amber/red colour.

The thing that strikes me most from the first sip is the dry, toasted spice finish. Almost like when you lick the spoon after it's had ground cinnamon on it.

Once it warms up a little the malt comes out and balances the spice/bitterness perfectly. Some quite pronounced apple notes in there too.

A tasty, complex Belgian quaffer. If I was brewing it I'd go for a hint more body and a touch less hop bitterness in the finish, but it's a fine beer.

Cheers Stu.
1200L fermenting now.
more malt, same mash temp = more alcohol and more body, less colour, same ferment temp, a little more hop.

i'll have one tonight and see if I still think that was a good idea.
Stu's case swap beer needs a song! Given the context of this beer I think this song is appropriate ;-)

Good call Dale - well thought out song.... very true. Good work mate.
If this was Facebook and Fritha was your friend she'd give you the thumbs up. She like Beastie Boys and she says this is a keeper.

One two, one two!

Just had a pint and think I've clicked it in the right direction. I know Steve "eXception" Nally will smash the ferment too. His feedback on the same beer was "I like the Belgian"... such a way with words.
Did you use the 550 with Steve? I need to scab some of you. I love the Belgian too.
More like... I love that Belgian in particular.
Yep, we used WLP550 in "Plan K". Recipe here was about 10% specialty malt. Used the same malts, similar ratios, but dropped it back to 7% in the 1200L batch. Will be 4.6%abv and a little more late Motueka.

I found this beer to be a little too malt heavy in the finish to be really sessionable, hence cutting back the specialty and bumping up the hop a little. No doubt I'll try one of the few 330ml bottles I put away in a month or so and regret the changes ;-) That's the beauty of brewing though, isn't it. Time changes everything. Nothing can really be compared over time.
mmmmmm I like this one. lovely copper, not much head. aromas of raisins, fruity belgian esters, phenols, clove and coriander I pick up mainly, almost get some aniseed as well but this has happened a lot since I tried the 2009 JP. The flavor is not quite as bold as the aroma, the same sort of characteristics as the aroma but more subtle, behind a little malt and a fair bit of hoppy tartness. The dry toasty finish lingers slightly bitter and pretty tart.
the only change I can suggest is to make it a bit bigger but as far as 1.043 beers go, this is pretty awesome!
Mums! (that means yummy in danish and possibly belgian as well:)
I guess Danish and Belgian mums can be pretty yummy from time to time too :)

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service