Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

SOBA National Homebrew Competition - CLOSING THIS FRIDAY!

All,

Get them in quick...

Here's the fabulous prize list:

Champion brewer - The SOBA Champion brewer is sponsored by Brewcraft. The Champion brewer will win a Brewcraft keg system and a Brewcraft still system.

Best overall beer - The hopping good folk at Hallertau have once again chosen to sponsor the Best overall beer award. The winner of the Best overall beer will have their beer commercially brewed by the Hallertau team.

Hop balanced beer - New Zealand Hops does it again and have chosen to sponsor the Hop balanced beer award. The winner of the Hop balanced beer award will receive a voucher for $150 worth of hops to include in their next brew.

Malt balanced beer - The good folk at Liberty Brewing have chipped in by offering a voucher worth $150 off your next malt purchase.

Need more information? Check out the soba.org.nz website.

Important dates:
Entries start - Friday 3rd July 2009
Entries close - Friday 24th July 2009 at 18:00
Entries received before or after the entry dates will not be entered in the contest.
Judging dates - Saturday 1st August - Sunday 2nd August with a reserve judging day of Saturday 8th August if there are large number of entries
Announcement of results - tentatively scheduled for Sunday 30th August

Get involved:
A competition like this doesn't happen without the help and participation of many dedicated individuals. Volunteering to help at the beer competition is rewarding and great fun. What could be better than chatting about beer to other like minded souls! You don't have to be a homebrewer - just a beer lover.
We need Wellington based volunteer organisers, stewards and judges. If you are available to help on the dates above please let me know at brendon@libertybrewing.co.nz

The beer styles will follow the BJCP 2008 style guidelines plus additional style descriptions to cover New Zealand styles:
http://www.bjcp.org/docs/2008_Guidelines.pdf

The New Zealand Style Guidelines to be used are:
http://soba.org.nz/files/New%20Zealand%20Styles_0.pdf

More information on last years competition can be found at the following links:
http://www.soba.org.nz/competition
http://www.soba.org.nz/node/125

If you have any questions please email me at brendon@libertybrewing.co.nz . Alternatively, you can post here are I will try and get back to you as soon as possible.

Cheers,
Brendon

For results please go to http://www.soba.org.nz/competition-results

Views: 513

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I reckon we need more rock'n'rollers - like HLAH, like Shihad used to be, like Flyin' Nun used to breed, The Gordons/Bailter Space... like the yanks had in the 80's with The Replacements and Husker Du.
Pretty good music!!! Decadent??????
The NZ Style Guidelines have now been finalised and published:
http://soba.org.nz/files/New%20Zealand%20Styles_0.pdf

0A. New Zealand Draught
Aroma: Light to low-medium grainy, caramel and/or toasty malt aroma. Low to no hop aroma typically of New Zealand varieties. Moderately-low to no fruity ester is acceptable. No diacetyl.
Appearance: Light copper to light brown colour; very clear. Low to moderate off-white to white head with low to fair retention.
Flavour: Moderately-low to low bitterness, smooth and sometimes sweet malt character that may have a light to low-medium grainy, caramel and/or toasty flavour. Dry finish often with slight malt sweetness. Clean, lager character sometimes with slight sulphury notes and moderately-low to no esters. Very low to low-medium hop flavour. No diacetyl.
Mouthfeel: Medium-light to medium body. Moderate to moderately high carbonation. Smooth mouthfeel.
Overall Impression: A clean, brown lager with the balance towards malt flavour and aroma.
Comments: Most NZ Draughts are slightly malty brown lagers. Even though the name tends to use the term "ale" they are typically made with attenuative lager yeast. Those that are made as ales are fermented at cool ale temperatures and lagered at cold temperatures.
Ingredients: Typically made with a Pils base and coloured with roasted malt, chocolate or dark crystal. May include small amounts of caramel malt and adjuncts such as sugar. New Zealand hops. Usually made with attenuative lager yeast.
Vital Statistics:
OG: 1.036 – 1.048 IBUs: 10 – 20 FG: 1.008 – 1.014 SRM: 13 – 19 ABV: 3.8– 4.5% 
Commercial Examples: Speight’s Gold Medal Ale, Tui East India Pale Ale, Hawke’s Bay Independent Genuine Mates Draught, Lion Red, Lion Brown

0B. Standard New Zealand Lager
Aroma: Little to low malt aroma, which can be grainy or sweet. Hop aroma may range from none to a light New Zealand hop presence. Low levels of yeast character (fruitiness or DMS) are optional but acceptable. No diacetyl.
Appearance: Pale straw to gold colour. Low to medium head with medium to high carbonation. Very clear.
Flavour: Neither malt nor hops prevail in the taste but both are in good balance with a touch of malty sweetness, providing a smooth yet crisply refreshing beer. Hop flavour may range from none to a light grassy or floral hop presence. Very light to medium-low hop bitterness. Low to moderate maltiness and sweetness, varying with gravity and attenuation. Usually well attenuated. Finish can vary from somewhat dry to faintly sweet. Faint fruity esters are acceptable. No diacetyl.
Mouthfeel: Generally light and crisp. Body can be medium-low to medium. Medium to high attenuation; higher attenuation levels can lend a “thirst quenching” finish. High carbonation.
Overall Impression: Refreshing and thirst quenching lager.
Comments: Strong flavours are a fault. A standard lager comparable to industrial lagers of other countries but with a touch of malt sweetness for the New Zealand palate.
Ingredients: Pils malt with up to 20% non-malt adjuncts. New Zealand hops.
Vital Statistics:
OG: 1.036-1.048 IBUs: 12-20 FG: 1.008-1.012 SRM: 2-6 ABV: 3.8-5.0% 
Commercial Examples: DB Export, Mac's Gold, Sunshine Brewery Gisborne Gold, Steinlager Classic

0C. Premium New Zealand Lager
Aroma: Low to medium-low malt aroma, which can be grainy or sweet. Hop aroma may range from very low to a medium-low New Zealand hop presence. Very low levels of yeast esters (fruitiness) are optional but acceptable. No diacetyl.
Appearance: Pale straw to gold colour. Low to medium head with medium to high carbonation. Very clear.
Flavour: Crisp and dry flavour with some low to medium levels of grainy or malty sweetness. Hop flavour ranges from none to medium-low levels. Hop flavour has characteristic New Zealand hop quality of grassy, citrus, fruity or floral. Hop bitterness at low to medium level. Balance may vary from slightly malty to slightly bitter, but is relatively close to even. No diacetyl. No esters.
Mouthfeel:  Medium-light body. Moderate to high carbonation. No astringency or harshness.
Overall Impression: Refreshing and thirst quenching light lager.
Comments: Strong flavours are a fault. A clean premium lager comparable to other countries. May display an identifiable New Zealand hop quality. Cleaner and less sweet than New Zealand Lager
Vital Statistics:
OG: 1.042-1.050 IBUs: 15-25 FG: 1.008-1.012 SRM: 2-6 ABV: 4.2-5.5% 
Commercial Examples: Monteith's New Zealand Lager, Steinlager Pure, Hawke’s Bay Independent Brewery Force Lager, Moa Brewing Weka Native Lager (unusual in that slightly hoppy for style)

0D. New Zealand Styled Pilsner
Aroma: Typically features a medium-low to moderate grainy Pils malt character. Hop aroma can range from medium to high intensity of New Zealand hop varieties and may have a pronounced grassiness due to late or dry hopping. The aroma favours hops over malt. Clean, no fruity esters, no diacetyl.
Appearance: Straw to deep gold, brilliant to very clear, with a creamy, long-lasting white head.
Flavour: Moderate to moderately-low yet well attenuated maltiness, although some grainy flavours and slight Pils malt sweetness are acceptable. Hop bitterness dominates taste and continues through the finish and lingers into the aftertaste. Hop flavour can range from moderately-low to high and should be derived from New Zealand hops. Clean, no fruity esters, no diacetyl. Crisp and bitter, with a dry to medium-dry finish. Aftertaste should have a lingering hop signature. Hop character should not be resiny.
Mouthfeel: Medium-light to medium body, medium to high carbonation.
Overall Impression: A hop balanced beer. Crisp, complex and well-rounded yet refreshing. Hop bitterness may be accentuated by sulphates in water.
Comments: A hoppy lager that showcases the distinctive New Zealand hop varieties. A clean lager to compete with the best German and Bohemian Pilsners.
Vital Statistics:
OG: 1.044-1.060 IBUs: 25-40 FG: 1.008-1.014 SRM: 2-6 ABV: 4.5-6.0% 
Commercial Examples: Mac's Hoprocker, Invercargill Brewery Biman, Emerson's Pilsner, Three Boy's Pils

0E. New Zealand Pale Ale
Aroma: Showcases New Zealand hops in moderate to high strength. A grassy or resiny character maybe evident from dry hopping or late kettle additions but this should be balanced and not excessive. Fruity esters vary from moderate to none. Moderately-low to moderately-high maltiness possibly including bready, biscuity, caramel and/or toasty malt qualities may support the hops. Generally no diacetyl but very low levels are allowable.
Appearance: Gold to deep copper in colour. Generally clear although a slight haze may occur due to dry hopping. Moderate white to off-white head with good retention. Carbonation may vary from moderately-low to moderately-high.
Flavour: Moderate to high hop flavour, showing New Zealand hop qualities. The balance is typically towards the late hops and bitterness, but the malt presence can be substantial. Low to moderate maltiness. The malt character may show slightly toasty, bready, biscuity and/or caramelly qualities but this is generally restrained and in balance as to not dominate the flavour. Finish medium to dry and crisp, with a lingering moderate to high hop bitterness and a grainy malt flavour. Low to moderate fruity esters are acceptable. Alcohol may be evident. Low to moderate sulphur and mineral characters are allowable. Generally no diacetyl but very low levels are allowable.
Mouthfeel:  Medium-light to medium bodied. Medium to medium-high carbonation. Overall smooth finish without astringency often associated with high hopping rates.
Overall Impression: Refreshing and hoppy, yet with sufficient supporting malt. A broad style allowing a considerable degree of interpretation.
Vital Statistics:
OG: 1.048-1.060 IBUs: 30-50 FG: 1.010-1.016 SRM: 6-16 ABV: 4.6-6.0% 
Commercial Examples: Emerson’s 1812, Three Boy’s IPA, Founder’s Fair Maiden Ale
Great job on the descriptions Brendon (and anyone else involved), they're a definite step up from last year and very much in line with BJCP. Well Done!

Personally, I would like to have seen less Lagers and more Ales. I've brewed a few ales with prominent NZ hops lately that just aren't big enough and bitter enough to enter as NZPAs.

Is there no room for a Bookbinder style beer in the NZ Styles?
There are a couple of things to think about when you get beers like you are describing.
Say the beer in question is a Bookbinder-like-beer then you could enter as a Standard/Ordinary Bitter (8A) with an accompanying Brewers Notes that simply says "NZ Hops". This might be if it is close in all other aspects and balance to what an Ordinary Bitter might be but exhibits NZ Hop character. The Ordinary Bitter class has a not stating "...although US varieties may be used" which you can interpret to also mean "NZ varieties" are also acceptable.

Or the entrant might enter the Bookbinder-like-beer in Speciality (23). The Brewer might decide that it is too far removed from an Ordinary Bitter in a number of aspects. For instance, the brewers note could read something like
"A New Zealand interpretation of an Ordinary Bitter (8A.) with NZ Hops. Clean attentuative ale yeast used".

The seventh bullet point down being the reason for entering here i.e. American-style (in our case New Zealand styled) interpretations of European styles (e.g., hoppier, stronger, or ale versions of lagers) or other variants of traditional style.
The first thing the judges think about is why this beer just can't be judged as an Ordinary Bitter.
If the beer in mind does seem to "stand apart" from the base style then it is evaluated in Speciality.
For instance one of the things that typifies an Ordinary is the ester profile. To an extent some fruity NZ Hops can augment that character but in doing so it becomes more "NZ" then "traditional". This might lead you into thinking your Bookbinder-like-beer is better in the Speciality section.

IMHO the beer style needs to be brewed and established widely before you can really define the style else you get weird situations (like ESB - at least at the start - and California Common) where really only one beer typifies the style.
Should all NZ Brown Ales be based on Founder's Generation Ale?
Or all NZ Stouts a slight variant of Pitch Black?
These are great beers but probably not the only ones a style should be based on. If a number of people were to brew a beer similar that needed a style then it gets created (such as NZ Pils).
Thanks Brendon, I'll take that as a "No" ;-)

It seems I've had my Home Brew blinkers on where the majority of beers are ales whereas these styles are designed to encompass all NZ beers. I guess in a country dominated by large lager brewing breweries, the styles should reflect that.

Well done again on the style descriptions. How long before we can expect to see them officially added to BJCP? :-)
Only one week remaining for entries!
Best overall beer - The hopping good folk at Hallertau have once again chosen to sponsor the Best overall beer award. The winner of the Best overall beer will have their beer commercially brewed by the Hallertau team. Whippdee doodles just make sure you get a taste of it if you win, I never did, seemed like a booby prize to me, never saw that keg steve P promised me let alone a bottle (or a reply from a $600 keg order).
Still holding a Grudge.
Hey Dan, sucks that you had a bad experience.

Mine was the exact opposite. I paid for myself to go up for brew day and had a blast. Most of the kegs ended up in my local bar even though that meant Hallertau didn't get to serve much on tap.

Also, it tasted really good. I can't believe I have to wait 18 months to try the Porter Noir version.
It did taste good and was great fun having a launch with PKB. Probably a little too chocolaty for my personal taste but a bloody well made beer and great work from the two Steves.
When do we get an email With all our bits and pieces so I can finish these beers off and send the bastards!!
Hi guys - I have just updated the FAQs

http://soba.org.nz/node/159

I haven't received the confirmation email yet with my submission id. How long does this normally take?

Some people have been experiencing technical issues with receiving the confirmation email. It seems that a number of email programs (especially Yahoo!Xtra) think that the email coming from the SOBA website is spam. The email is sent within 10 minutes from the SOBA site. Please check your SPAM folder first. If you still haven't received an email then please email organisers@soba.org.nz so we can investigate.
For Yahoo!Xtra users using an email client (such as Outlook or Thunderbird) can you please log in via your browser and check your Spam folder.

This will possibly apply to other webmail type accounts as well.

Cheers,
B

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service