Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94600

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hey guys

The drunken pope's first attempt at a lager. We need some help on this one. Its a great day for it. We are grinding now so any changes to our malt bill will have to be made very soon.

Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.70 kg Lager Malt (2.0 SRM) Grain 87.9 %
0.40 kg Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 7.5 %
0.15 kg Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 2.8 %
0.10 kg Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 1.9 %
35 gm Riwaka [5.10%] (60 min) Hops 18.2 IBU
12 gm Nelson Sauvin [11.40%] (60 min) Hops 13.9 IBU
5 gm Riwaka [5.10%] (30 min) Hops 2.0 IBU
5 gm Riwaka [5.10%] (15 min) Hops 1.3 IBU
4 gm Nelson Sauvin [11.40%] (5 min) Hops 0.9 IBU
5 gm Riwaka [5.10%] (10 min) Hops 0.9 IBU
5 gm Riwaka [5.10%] (5 min) Hops 0.5 IBU

We have no czech saaz which would have been our first hop choice. The yeast is 2124 bohemian activator.

We would really appreciate the help
Looks fine - I wouldn't have used the Crystal - but I suppose it's too late for that now. The only advise I would offer is to make sure you have a 4 Liter starter for that beer. It makes a phenominal difference, especially when you intend to ferment as low as 12 degrees.

Might be a bit late for y'all though?
I agree with Joking, no crystal! And who makes the "lager malt", sounds like Wigram selling pale malt as lager malt! :)

You could have texted me this morning I have some Czech Saaz in the freezer!
Thanks joe, we will be sure to make a big fuck off starter.

nah bro, we get lager malt from gladfield for $50 for 30kg. wigram are a rip off. Can we still get some saaz from you james? pick it up or drop off?

thanks a bunch
haha, ok for the record (sorry mick), mick thought it was called lager malt, and asked doug for lager malt at gladfield, which he provided in an unnamed sack. i did say i thought it was called pilsener malt afterwards but mick disagreed.haha good times. Any who we have some spare if you chch guys want to buy it for cheaper than wigram's prices (same with pale malt). just give me, mick or jade a buzz.
cheers.
You got LAR005. :) That's what I get.

Probably be looking for some pale malt in the in the next month or so, want to start experiementing the the grain differences between pale and pils.
Finnally My Oatmeal Stout

70% Marris Otter
10% Oats
4% Roast Barley
4% Pale Choc
6% Cara Aroma
6% Crystal 80

Hopped with Chinook and Coloumbus too 31 IBU
Gravity of 1.052
WLP001
Snap!

Thats what I'm looking at brewing tomorrow - an Oatmeal Stout

74% Pale Malt
11% Oats
4% Melanoiden
4% Crystal 80
4% Pale Choc
2.5% Black Patent.

Hopping with Pac Gem to 38IBU
British Ale Yeast from CB (which i guess might be S04)
Nice work!! Would be good to compare!!
Yeah, i was just thinking that. Mines should be ready in maybe 2-3 weeks I'd say.

Will drop you a message if yr keen to swap
Do use just use standard rolled oats into the Mash?
Yeah, thats what I've used.

Wholegrain rolled oats from Harraways. Not sure if thats what is meant to be used. I think some of the breweries in the UK use Pinhead Oats, which I've never seen over here

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service