Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Just spent the long weekend down in Rotorua and was able to pop into the new Croucher bar in Rotorua - Underground (1282 Hinemoa Street). I was really impressed.

Sitting beneath a restaurant (which you can order from), apparently it was an old pokie parlour, which would have been a waste. It's small and cosy, with an open fire and low ceiling. Along with the lots of exposed timber, it's got a real European feel inside. There is also outside seating, which will be great in summer.

The beers were all tasting good - there is even a beer engine hooked up at the end of the beer. Plans are to put some experimental brews on - the dry-hopped Pale Ale at room temperature was drinking superb! Just what I needed a chilly afternoon mountain biking.

I think once word gets around town, this will become a popular local. The type of place I wish was 5 minutes down the road from home - so I could pop in for a pint or two every night (so perhaps I'm fortunate it's not!).

If you are in Rotorua or close by, make sure you visit.
Sam

Views: 15

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for sharing that info - always good to know if there's a good pub somewhere. We do in fact have a very cosy wee Irish pub literally across the road, only snag is that, although they serve a very fine pint of Guinness, there is nothing besides that is enticing and that is the usual conundrum.
Was in Rotorua the last couple of days thanks to an Air NZ Mystery trip my fiancee won so managed to get here both days.
The Pale Ale was tasting excellent on tap and served in tip top shape - not overly carbonated and not too cold.

Tried both beers on the handpumps - an experimental Double Chocolate porter than was pleasant enough but finished a little to sweet for me, like it wasn't quite finish (which it possibly wasn't - the bar manager told me there had been a bit of interest in the beer so they had put it on in a 25lt demi john for the punters). It showed a nice chocolate richness that fell away in the middle but I'll try it again once its past the experimental stage. The Drunken Hop Bitter on the other pump was very good, a more bitter version of the PA and enjoyable

I'll second TGM and say this is a great place to visit if you're in Rotorua
Just poped over from Tauranga for a bit of a look this arvo. Cool little pub in a great location. Had to do the obligatory tasting of each beer. The Mrs really enjoyed the Hef, while the Pale Ale was definitely my pick on the day. It was tasting absolutely superb off tap and in the hand-pulled variant. Was really good to compare the two side by side.

We arrived only 30 minutes B4 6pm closing (on Sunday's...).
It was naturally pretty quiet, so an excellent opportunity to chat with Nigel about each beer and how things were generally going.

Definitely worth a visit guys. Great hospitality, and they need our support to get established.
I will definitely make it a regular stop-off whenever I pass through. Suggest you do too...

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service