Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

The next quarterly competition will be held at Hallertau (as usual) on the 30th of May 2009. The next style will be BJCP style 9D. Irish Red Ale.

Anybody who is interested in entering can contact myself to find out the necessary information. If you are not a resident of Auckland, and wish to enter please contact me - and I will organise you entry to be made.

The style guidelines for the next competition are below:

9D. Irish Red Ale
Aroma: Low to moderate malt aroma, generally caramel-like but occasionally toasty or toffee-like in nature. May have a light buttery character (although this is not required). Hop aroma is low to none (usually not present). Quite clean.

Appearance: Amber to deep reddish copper color (most examples have a deep reddish hue). Clear. Low off-white to tan colored head.

Flavor: Moderate caramel malt flavor and sweetness, occasionally with a buttered toast or toffee-like quality. Finishes with a light taste of roasted grain, which lends a characteristic dryness to the finish. Generally no flavor hops, although some examples may have a light English hop flavor. Medium-low hop bitterness, although light use of roasted grains may increase the perception of bitterness to the medium range. Medium-dry to dry finish. Clean and smooth (lager versions can be very smooth). No esters.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light to medium body, although examples containing low levels of diacetyl may have a slightly slick mouthfeel. Moderate carbonation. Smooth. Moderately attenuated (more so than Scottish ales). May have a slight alcohol warmth in stronger versions.

Overall Impression: An easy-drinking pint. Malt-focused with an initial sweetness and a roasted dryness in the finish.

Comments: Sometimes brewed as a lager (if so, generally will not exhibit a diacetyl character). When served too cold, the roasted character and bitterness may seem more elevated.

Ingredients: May contain some adjuncts (corn, rice, or sugar), although excessive adjunct use will harm the character of the beer. Generally has a bit of roasted barley to provide reddish color and dry roasted finish. UK/Irish malts, hops, yeast.

Vital Statistics: OG: 1.044 – 1.060
IBUs: 17 – 28 FG: 1.010 – 1.014
SRM: 9 – 18 ABV: 4.0 – 6.0%

Commercial Examples: Three Floyds Brian Boru Old Irish Ale, Great Lakes Conway’s Irish Ale (a bit strong at 6.5%), Kilkenny Irish Beer, O’Hara’s Irish Red Ale, Smithwick’s Irish Ale, Beamish Red Ale, Caffrey’s Irish Ale, Goose Island Kilgubbin Red Ale, Murphy’s Irish Red (lager), Boulevard Irish Ale, Harpoon Hibernian Ale

Views: 145

Replies to This Discussion

what time is the conference?
4pm on Saturday the 30th - looking forward to meeting y'll there!
yip, should be able to make 4 ok which will afford me a couple of hours.
Sweet, I'll be there.
Lucky Enough to sample this Beer!!

Pours a golden hue of orange with a slight note of mud in there - upon closer inspection, there was some peanut butter yeast as well as stunning precipitations of protein that clung to the readily disipating head of this wonderous brew. Aroma: Reminisent of the boot of my old Datsun - hints of old Carpet with the metallic tang of Rust. The Malt had aged spectacularily into the smoothest perceivable sweetness that coopers has been famous for. A floral hint of Black Wattle rounded out the nose of this drink. Taste: As with the aroma - rusty Datsun Boot was dominant along with a subtle hint of Marmite (not to be confused with Vegemite of course) with a dry sour finish.
I hope you are all glad that Joking didnt enter as I am now having his Red!!

1) This is not an easy drinking Pint as per BJCP 9D

This Beer is more like 9DD as DD are allways better, Right!!

Pours a Copper red with a pillow like head which packs down like my big fat head has just planted on it. Aroma is of Toffee and Alc!! But you will find out later. Marmaldey flavours come through the lite carbonation. I think the scales must of broken at the crutial stage of flavour and aroma stages of the boil as there little to nothing here something im not used to at this brewery but is being PC here to stlye WTF, damn these Irish why couldnt they be like there US Irish brothers!!

I think all in all its a great beer and is out of Style but I dont give Flying Fuck as to me 6% beer is very sessionable too me!! its just that my sessions dont last long!! HAHA
Yeah... a bit out of style for sure. It took nearly 2 months to condition as well - I was considering a drain pour on this about a month ago!
Drain Pour Last one I did of that was a RIS and I still regret it!!
Does anybody have any 1469 yeast slurry or remainder in a bottle they could bring along? I'd be eternally grateful!
You might be lucky enough Greig ;o) I have a couple of bottles of gen 2 trub that you could spin back into life..
Sorry Greig - I'd like to offer, but 1469 was one of the Jars that fell on the tile floor and broke all over the place.
S'OK, Reviled has come through. What a guy. Remind me to be polite about BiaB. ;)

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service