Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

I thought it would be cool to have a comparison of everyones Red Ales. This is mine after cold break (the wort here is 5 degrees) and is 18 SRM on the button.

I wish I could brew beer this colour all the time - it is really majestic to look at. Maybe I'll do an "Evil Twin"... Evil Dead Red clone...

Views: 386

Replies to This Discussion

I brewed one - slighly hazy... might have something to do with the hops in it. Has a nice cherry aroma developing over the last weeks or so... the hops are virtually gone now, and not as toasty as it used to be - it's quite drinkable, might actually be to style now.
No photos, but it's mostly gone! I'm bringing some friends up for the day also, though they'll just be enjoying Steve's fine fare rather than partaking in the Red Head. Hrm, that sounds bad...

Mine was probably at the darkest end of the scale. I bottled one 750ml for the competition at the same time I kegged, but the flavour developed a bit, so I'm going to do 2 x 500ml bottles also straight from the beer engine, and decide on the day which one should be judged as "the beer". Is this allowed? ;)
OK, It's finally tasting like I wanted it to, and has dropped bright. I just tried to put some in 500ml bottles from the handpump, but it foamed too much, so I think I'll probably just take pot luck on the day with the one 750ml I bottled at the same time as the keg was filled.

Anyway, here's a post-boil shot and the beast as it stands now. Yes, I am working from home and having a sneaky lunchtime pint. So? :)
Attachments:
That looks like a contender. I'll give you a confidence boost though... whenever I bottle one or two off from excees volume for kegging, the bottles always taste better.
You mean the bottle conditioned ones? Id agree with this allthough im not sure if its down to the extra conditioning time it gets or the actual bottling itself..

I allways end up drinking the bottles about a month or so after the keg ran dry...
Mine have historically gone both ways (snigger). I hope this will be a good 'un.
just as well I have 25L then!
humph, mine is way darker than that. Jamils recipe to the letter (well for grist anyway).
It's red up to the light, otherwise positively cola coloured.
I cant wait to taste a Jamil recipe - especially when you listen to him raving on about how nice his one is in his podcast... so it'll be interesting to see what he considers as "nice".
ha, that's assuming _a_lot_ about my brewing process :)
I assume it's as good as everyone says it is mate...
Mines fully 100% cola coloured as well, blood red when held up to the light, but otherwise not..

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service